What Not To Do When Your Limo Rolls Towards You:

(01-23-13) 10:59 PST SAN FRANCISCO -- A San Francisco limousine driver died Tuesday when he was pinned between his vehicle and a parked car while trying to stop the limo from rolling down a hill.

The driver, whose name has not been released, was letting the passengers out his limousine near Post and Taylor streets at about 6:20 p.m. when the car began rolling backward, said Officer Gordon Shyy, a police spokesman.

The driver stepped behind the car to try to stop it, but was unable to do so and was crushed between the limousine and the parked car, Shyy said. He died at San Francisco General Hospital.

Investigators are trying to determine why the limousine began rolling backward, Shyy said.

Will Kane is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. E-mail: wkane@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @WillKane

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Limo-rolls-down-hill-crushes-driver-4217478.php#ixzz2IpmzMYiM

how about because he failed to put it park. running in drive it would hold it's self for awhile. now don't ask how I know this. I've done about ever stupid thing with a car you can do. but most of the time is was with someone else's car!!!!

similar situation with a police trainee

How about (due to petite size) being unable to get a Ford CV into park? Chevy, smaller, ok. Scaring the heck out of your training officer. That's where I came in to play....with my best Donald Trump....YOU'RE FIRED. PHEW

In panic people can do very stupid things, like one of my "client"'s sister who put the car on neutral instead of park, trying desperately to stop the car... with one leg out; Fred Flinstone style she felt and the car slowly broked her leg at 5 places..yuk... She survived but missed her brother's funeral.

Who can predict how you will react in a panic moment? how a car crash becomes a hit-and-run, to be honest Im too skinny to stop a 4000lbs limo...poor guy

My first vehicle that I bought was a 1959 Ford Thunderbird (which I bought in 1988). It was a decent looking car when I bought it, but it was full of bondo and the interior had been ruined with fuzzy carpeting replacing the original dashboard, and god awful plaid seat covers and the same fuzzy carpeting on the floor. But, I was in love with late 50s T-Birds back then and HAD to have it...so I bought it for $1,000.

Anyway, one day like an idiot I went to put gas in it, and left it idling in park at the pump. BAD MOVE! The car slipped out of park, and into reverse and slowly started backing up while I was still pumping gas into it. The gas cap was in the rear behind the license plate, and I had the car facing in a direction that once it started backing up I ran as fast as I could to the driver's side door to get in and stop it. But, I wasn't fast enough. I got there just on time to open the door, but the open door hit the gas pump, literally pushing it over by the time I got the car stopped. Fortunately the clerk saw what was happening and hit the emergency stop switch, and no gas leaks happened. But, I ruined their gas pump and had to pay them $150.00 to replace it. Not a scratch to my car, but I learned to NEVER leave that car in park again while it was running! The problem? A bad linkage pin.

I won't even go into the time I brought it to the classic car show at Riverboat days and the brakes went out when I was driving it into the display area with 100 classic cars, probably 200 people, and no brakes!

My thoughts and prayers are with the limo driver's friends and family, as this was a very tragic end to an unfortunate incident.

Abe

Back