Problem solved...

I took the advice of Paul Steinberg regarding the brake repair on my CC vehicle. I am in the better safe than sorry camp. I am grateful for all of the advice and posts regarding the matter. The hearse stops very well now. I was surprised the first time I used the brake pedal; my eyes almost popped out of my skull...this time not from fear that I would not stop....I was used to stepping down on the pedal far ahead of where I needed to stop. I hit the pedal, the front end dipped down, and the hearse stopped sure and true. I am feel confident that I will be able to stop without problems now.
After the installation of the rebuilt brake boost assist, the vehicle ran very rough. My mechanic explained that the carburetor was probably tuned to compensate for a vacuum leak in the brake booster. I had the carburetor rebuilt and tuned; I think it is set a bit rich now. I live at 8,500 feet above sea-level, and the mechanic's shop is at about 5,500 feet above sea-level. I am guessing the lean air at my elevation may have something to do with it (I am not sure). My mechanic instructed me in the method to lean out the carb. a bit...he is coming to take a look after the holidays.

Thank you all again.

house call?

I had heard of doctor' (many years ago) that made house calls. First I have heard of a mechanic that does this. Have the coffee on and the brownies baked. You may want to keep this guy in your phonebook.
Don't know if the difference in elevation would have that much effect on the running of the coach. I never retune anything for a roadtrip and have never had a problem.
Mike

That Steinberg certainly knows a lot and has always harped about how you have to get them to stop before we need them to get them to go.:eek:
Glad it is working as it should.:thumbsup:

road trip is one thing but daily driving the altitude makes a difference. we get really spoiled by the self adjust cars of today. but I remember going from home to the 700 foot level and my car would always ping under acceleration there . go the other way at 9000 ft she just did not have any power. get back and it ran just fine. I never readjust it on a trip as most of the time we were not going to be there that long. those 50-60s GM with the rochester were a confusing car to adjust the carb on. still trying to get this 58 to run smooth all the time. of course driving it a lot more would make a big difference.

Back