Time has come...

Couple more pictures from this morning. I dropped off the ambulance so the door can be fitted then finished. He will take the driver's door off next and paint the door jams.

Joe seemed perplexed that there were no drain holes in the door so what's the point in doing a rustproofing. I explained that M-M was known for this. Rest assured, there will be drain holes cut in.

Attachments

• IMG_1857.jpg
    IMG_1857.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_7781.jpg
    IMG_7781.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_7858.jpg
    IMG_7858.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 262
looked like he had a ready made set there all ready. the only door that is rusty on the 68 is the one with out the drain holes. thats a hint people check them out

looked like he had a ready made set there all ready. the only door that is rusty on the 68 is the one with out the drain holes. thats a hint people check them out

Well said. When I washed my 85 Eureka Pontiac for the first time and opened the doors you could just hear the amount of water inside the front doors. A day later, about 3/4 was still there. I took a drill with a nice size bit and drilled 6 holes along the lowest part of the door, then touched up the bare metal that I created. Its never held water since. I dont understand why some of the builders dont do this.

And we continue. Driver's door turns out to be just as bad as the other door so I suspect they all will need this much work. I'm pleased with the work so far but got to slow down, I need some trade work to keep this up.

Attachments

• IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_5228.jpg
    IMG_5228.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_9895.jpg
    IMG_9895.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_6016.jpg
    IMG_6016.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 217
see some one did the toss a washer under the hinge trick to compensate for the bad bushings. I of course have never done that, but I seen it done.:D

Plastic wrap

And we continue. Driver's door turns out to be just as bad as the other door so I suspect they all will need this much work. I'm pleased with the work so far but got to slow down, I need some trade work to keep this up.

Gee Richard You guys in Florida take that winter A/C Seriously LOL

Russ

Coming along. First two doors have the new metal replaced and fitted to the car. Man, that front door closes with ease whereas before I always had to slam it. This week we cut and replace the metal in the front fender lower quarter. The rockers are solid so no need to address them. I should get the car back this week without the doors so Joe can do his magic filling and rust proofing them. When I return it to him he'll paint the door jams and begin removing all the chrome. Then we begin work on the other side.
Forget to mention, Joe also replaced the choke system on the carb and it starts and runs like a top.

Yeah baby!!!!! :D

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_9609.jpg
    IMG_9609.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_4737.jpg
    IMG_4737.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 197
If he is painting the jams, why doesn't he also paint the outside bottoms of the doors, and that will save you from having the entire car painted. I would re-bush all the doors while the hinges are off. An old car is like an old person, they always need to have work done on them to keep them going. I speak from experiance...

that was of course what we talked about when this started. but each there own. me I would paint the car from the belt line down abut I understand it needs have the trim removed and cleaned up under there at least once.
now watching the progress on the car just shows how if you concentrate on one small spot get it all done there before you move on just how fast the job. gets finished. one door at a time the trim is striped off the rust is repaired hinges repaired as necessary and jams cleaned up. if you attack one halter skelter you never see progress as the car is torn up all the time. it easy to get bogged down in it. but if you walk up and cad say this door is next and this one is done your seeing progress and you keep going. kind of like this car may be all torn up but it still drives like a new one.

that was of course what we talked about when this started. but each there own. me I would paint the car from the belt line down abut I understand it needs have the trim removed and cleaned up under there at least once.
now watching the progress on the car just shows how if you concentrate on one small spot get it all done there before you move on just how fast the job. gets finished. one door at a time the trim is striped off the rust is repaired hinges repaired as necessary and jams cleaned up. if you attack one halter skelter you never see progress as the car is torn up all the time. it easy to get bogged down in it. but if you walk up and cad say this door is next and this one is done your seeing progress and you keep going. kind of like this car may be all torn up but it still drives like a new one.

I'm extremely pleased with the progress and you're right Ed, "Take it one door at a time" and before you know it is done. There are other issues with cracking on the roof from previous repairs, the area between the rear glass and rear fender, and some other spots which need attention. End result I expect it done sometime in June and enjoying the project. Just now thinking about chrome and what I will do about that.
:beatdeadhorse5:

It was time to pick up the Lifeliner and take her home while Joe finishes the doors. He cut out and welded in new metal on the lower front quarter. While driving her home I ran out of gas and had to call Joe.

He'll finished the doors then I take Lifeliner back and get the door jams done. Coming along and as long as my cases keep coming in this project will move forward. The Buick needed some work and the Vette blew a high pressure power steering line so....... never ends!

Sometimes I'm amazed at myself on just how I've managed to make it this far in life!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2825.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_9736.jpg
    IMG_9736.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_7476.jpg
    IMG_7476.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg