'66 Superior Landau Parts Car Photos

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
See attached photos of the '66 Superior parts car at John's Auto Salvage in Cabool, MO.
Kurt

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 507
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 483
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 484
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 485
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 484
I will confess I have repaired one that looked like this. its back in service. I know were the grill and fender are front bumper to.

'66 Superior

The front end damage was just done with a payloader in the last month by John's Nimrod Son. The car has a very good left front(driver's) bumper end as well. Someone has to need this rear bumper! It's really nice!!

'66 Superior

Bill,
They will sell you whatever you want. Yes, they will sell the car complete. I just want someone to get some good out of it before it is crushed, which will happen soon.
Kurt

Is this a parts car or are they selling the complete unit?

'69 and '70 Superior rear loading doors and glass will interchange Paul, regardless of Crown or Royale designations. Unfortunately I do not think that '65-'68 Superior glass will but can check this for you easily enough.

I do not know what the difference is on these set of years for the rear center of the bumper. you never see them rotted out. they are the same as all the rest in shape size. the only difference is the holes cut for the backup lights in the 70 to 73 years and the taillights in the 74-75 years. now we are only talking about the centers not the caddy ends or fillers to adapt them to that year car. the licence plate piece and license plate lights are the same on all of them. you would have to do away with or put in different back up lights to use one on the 70 to 73 years as the lights mount on tabs cut out when they made the hole. not saying it would be impossible to do. just one may end up re plating and have more money in changing then fixing what you have. that being said I could used this set of for my 68. but 500 miles is a long way to go for a bumper you only need one section of.

'66 Superior Landau Parts

We have two 1969's at home here. The doors are the same and the glass is different. Our Royale has larger glass than our Sovereign. From watching Ed work on Brendans coach you could seperate the top of the door with the glass from the lower portion of the door. Use the new door with the old top portion that houses the glass. I am guessing at this point with out measuring anything.

Spoke with a friend in CO who owns '65, '66, 67, '68, and '69 Superiors (among others). He confirms that Superior did not change (from waist to roof) and in fact most glass interchanges '65 through '70 (although he's never owned a '70).

Vent window changed in either '69 or '70, so front door glass is also different from then on.

Sovereign-to-Sovereign and Royale-to-Royale rear loading door glass, as Micheal pointed out, is the same. In fact, he's positive that the rear loading door stayed the same as well from '65-'70 (again, allowing for distinction between Royale and Sovereign glass sizes).

He also pointed out (not that it applies in this application) how easy it is converting a non-Crown to a Crown, as C pillars are already canted between models. The fact that Superior's roofs didn't change for a multi-year run is more than acceptable given how Superiors "blew other '60s coach designs away" to him.

^Isn't that always the case though, regardless of year? :D

Interesting tidbit.

1969 was the last year for the vent window. Tony Karsnia put that fact to me first time he saw the Royale. Well, explained Atti, it took me looking long at the Superior 1969 color catalogue to know beyond a doubt. You have to have a passion for the slanted pillars and the sculpted glass to know the roof every time you see it on a different year coach whether funeral, ambulance, the Superior catalog shows Pontiac and the same roof and glass likely as well from 65-69? Plus back doors will likely interchange between Pomtiac and Cadillacs in those years. Plus, plus the tops of all doors in those years and glass as well interchanges. Watching Ed taking doors apart and putting them together helped me realize the assembly of the various doors and components.

Vent windows?

Whoops, I misread the caption under the photograph of our coach that was a featured vehicle of the month in 2010 on the Northland chapters webpage. And it says that, Notable is the vent window that was discontinued in 1970. Quite tired these last weeks lots of irons in the fire. But remember 1970..... Jim Jordan I.O.U. Thanks!

'66 Superior Landau

Just curious as to what the going rate is on a nice complete rear bumper like this one has? Also, what do front bumper ends bring these days? I have been out of the loup on PCs and vintage Cadillacs for 20 years. I just hate to see this car crushed with a perfect rear bumper and a good left front bumper end. I am willing to just buy them and store them, if John's price is right.
Kurt

'66 Superior

Pat,
I haven't asked him what he would want for what remains of the car. I won't call it complete, as it has been in a yard for years. I assume that it would be in the $800 -$1000. range.
Kurt

I just talked to the salvage yard, they have been getting a few calls on the car and are going to part it out. They will not sell the entire car. They will only ship smaller parts.

'66 Superior

If anyone needs help on any parts that John is not willing to ship, just let me know. I may be able to help you out. I am in that area every month and travel the Mid-West extensively. I just don't want good, hard to find parts going to the crusher.
Kurt

I just did some simple research on the vent window situation. Cadillac had vent windows for the last time in 1968. The 1969 models were redesigned and the vent windows were dropped. Coach builders continued to use vent windows into 1970,

Back