Speaking of cots .....

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
Does anyone know what cot type was used to hang from the ceiling of Superiors? I bought a Ferno folding cot but the holes do not line up with the ceiling brackets.

I know the folding Ferno back board fits, not sure what the model number is.

this is the only picture I have of a superior with a hanging stretcher. it looks as I remember them in our wayne med cruiser we had in Oelrich Sd. folded in the center for storage no wheels or hand grips. just a hoop. now the road flats with the wheels would hang in some but they were set for the cups in the squad bench. others for a spar stretcher to carry. hangers had no feet or wheels, as i remember them. this is in a 70 high top.

Attachments

• 1970 superior 54. 1.jpg
    1970 superior 54. 1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 143
this is the only picture I have of a superior with a hanging stretcher. it looks as I remember them in our wayne med cruiser we had in Oelrich Sd. folded in the center for storage no wheels or hand grips. just a hoop. now the road flats with the wheels would hang in some but they were set for the cups in the squad bench. others for a spar stretcher to carry. hangers had no feet or wheels, as i remember them. this is in a 70 high top.

I bet that was exciting to be laying on one of those during transport!!!:wowguy:

In all my time, I transported 4 victims supine just exactly ONE time. Never, never, no way in hell again would I ever even consider doing that again. What a major pain in the arse that was. Also extremely dangerous in my book.

Call the competition, call a cab, start walking/crawling, you ain't going 4 high on my rides anymore.

Perhaps I should clarify, that was in a Cadillac 54" car. I've had 3 lying down in modulars, not quite so bad.

"I bet that was exciting to be laying on one of those during transport"

I've also done 4 patients laying down, but what is really exciting is when the one over the squad bench goes into respiratory arrest!:pat: By the time we were able to get to the hospital (we were about 3 minutes out thus the closest help was at the hospital) the patient was in full cardiac arrest. Not fun, and the last time I ever let anyone put a patient in one of those "hanging" stretchers.:2gunsfiring_v1:

I've been thinking about it, and I do believe at some point (probably early 70's) Ohio quit certifying cars that even had the hardware to "hang" patients from the ceiling.

Can anyone name this Ferno model #?

Ferno #12 (a #11 could be hung, as well)

I bought this Ferno (serial # D-33578) hoping to hang it but it doesn't fit the hardware hanging from the ceiling of my '67 or '72

Attachments

• Ferno1.jpg
    Ferno1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Ferni2.jpg
    Ferni2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 86
I always thought those were more for pre-EMS, first aid; industry, schools, etc. How much weight would those ceiling hooks hold? I bet it was hard on the back to lift the person at maximum weight up, inside something you couldn't stand up in.

I always thought those were more for pre-EMS, first aid; industry, schools, etc. How much weight would those ceiling hooks hold? I bet it was hard on the back to lift the person at maximum weight up, inside something you couldn't stand up in.

Hence the reason I only did it ONE TIME!!!!

If memory serves me correctly, I believe the hooks were rated at 200#. This set up became very popular right after we got away from station wagons, and small (think Pontiac Consort) type vehicles. Right out of the frying pan and into the fire as it were.

Pictures from my 1978 Superior and my garage...........

Attachments

• MVC-010L.JPG
    MVC-010L.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 83
  • MVC-011L.JPG
    MVC-011L.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 81
  • MVC-012L.jpg
    MVC-012L.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 81
I bought this Ferno (serial # D-33578) hoping to hang it but it doesn't fit the hardware hanging from the ceiling of my '67 or '72

That's because this model was not designed for use in an ambulance. Keep looking for #12s to hang and a #11 for use on the floor.

Pictures from my 1978 Superior and my garage...........

The photo of inside the car shows a #12 on the left (no posts/wheels) and a #11 on the right. A #11 is also shown standing up in the last photo. Period correct versions for your cars would use the light green canvas.

Robert had a neat description of how to do it. get the pt hung that is. if you keep the floor shined up and slick when you get to the back of the car the head man would sit on the floor and the foot man would push them in on the seat of there pants. they when he got to the right place all he had to do was lift the stretcher up and hook it. catch the car side first then the hanging rod. the man in the rear would use the step and the floor to do the same thing. if the foot man would lower his end it would take the weight off the head man so he could get his end hooked take them down in reverse.

Paul you got enough stuff crammed in your storage shed?

Ferno #9

Our service uses the Ferno #9 for our folding portable stretcher. Fixed wheels at the front and fixed posts at the rear. It also has an elevating head section. These will also work on hanging brackets as well.

I've sold all of my 'emergency stretchers', except one. It's just neat.. and I can use it to camp, I'm not sleeping in a tent. I grew up in the woods, I have no reason to be one with nature at 3am. Although, I've had it on eBay a half dozen times.

ferno.jpg

Back