Chrome Oxygen Tanks

James Fischer

PCS Member
I was hoping someone would be able to answer my question regarding CHROME E cylinders...

In the early 70's I worked for Superior ambulance service which had been around since the 30's...
They ran a fleet of both high top and low top M-M and Superiors.
ALL of their rigs had chrome O2 tanks....

I have gone all through my literature for both builders and have not been able to find any offering or options for oxygen tanks.

So,would it be safe to assume that the owners had all the tanks chromed on their own ??

And also has anyone else ever seen this in other places/rigs ??;)

Any help much appreciated !!

Is it possible that they were polished aluminum? They could have been chromed, but that is something that they would have had to have done on their own, and then had them recertified for use.

O2 tanks

Paul,

Although they could have been aluminum,I am pretty sure they were chrome since I remember having standard "green" tanks in the newer rigs for awhile and then they were switched out with the chrome ones.

Also they seemed pretty heavy when taken out to re-fill.....and not to mention the owners made sure that all drivers and attendants understood NEVER to leave a tank with the patient or at a hospital/facility.....or it would be coming out of their pay !

With that being said,I am wondering what the cost would be today to have a pair chromed vs aluminum ones polished ?...

get a set of old steel tanks and one could figure at around 300 for the pair. polishing is not really all that much cheaper

I have one

I have a chrome "D" tank. I'll post a picture when I get a chance this week. From what I can see it is factory chromed as the labels are original.

I know that in British Columbia the tank must be hydrostatic tested every 10 years. Any paint must be original or if repainted there can be no prep other than wire brushing the tank. Any media blasting requires the tank to be retested.

Because of this, I'd say the finish is factory.

Pictures

Here is the chrome oxygen tank I have.

Attachments

• 2-P1130961.jpg
    2-P1130961.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 43
Chrome Tank

Thank you ,Bill for taking the time to post the picture !!

I have since been doing a bit more research and found that chrome tanks seem to be pretty prevalent in the aviation industry.
However most of those are the smaller sizes of tanks.

I have never seen any other chrome tanks being used/displayed.
Thats one of the reasons I made the post....but good to know that there is at least one other one !!;)

Thanks again !:)

Back