PCS represented at Vermont EMS Day events

Tuesday, May 17, 2016, I had the honor of participating in the Vermont Department of Health's EMS Day activities, held on the lawn of the Vermont State House. As my cars aren't yet restored to a level befitting such an event, Paul Steinberg graciously loaned his 1969 Miller Meteor Classic 48. It was a big hit. Between my collection of vintage equipment, and the department that invited me, we set up a tent on the lawn showcasing historical ambulance equipment.

Besides Paul's car, they had technical rescue demonstrations, CPR training for the public, blood pressure checks, free lunch and an awards ceremony for Vermont EMS providers.

Below are a few photos I took, and here is a link to a local station's coverage - you briefly can see Paul's '69 in the footage.

Attachments

• Pauls69small1.jpg
    Pauls69small1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 249
  • Pauls69small2.jpg
    Pauls69small2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 229
  • Pauls69small3.jpg
    Pauls69small3.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Pauls69small4.jpg
    Pauls69small4.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 225
  • Pauls69small5.jpg
    Pauls69small5.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 220
  • Pauls69small6.jpg
    Pauls69small6.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 220
The 69 is a great representation of classic ambulance in the late 60's to mid 7
0's. In the early 80's one of the local hospitals purchased the private ambulance service where I had been working since 75. The moved out the previous owner and put me in charge. We already were using type III rigs as primary units, but we had a '73 Cadillac and '72 suburban as back up units. We also had 2 Oldsmobiles, 1 Pontiac and 1 Cadillac taking up garage space.

I was a smart, 25 year old, CEO of the only county wide EMS service and I knew everything. No I realize how stupid I was, I sold those storage cars (which all started and had little rust) for a few hundred dollars each to make more storage room.

Man how dumb was I and what would I do to have the '73 caddy and the '72 suburban today...

But I keep looking :D

The 69 is a great representation of classic ambulance in the late 60's to mid 7
0's. In the early 80's one of the local hospitals purchased the private ambulance service where I had been working since 75. The moved out the previous owner and put me in charge. We already were using type III rigs as primary units, but we had a '73 Cadillac and '72 suburban as back up units. We also had 2 Oldsmobiles, 1 Pontiac and 1 Cadillac taking up garage space.

I was a smart, 25 year old, CEO of the only county wide EMS service and I knew everything. No I realize how stupid I was, I sold those storage cars (which all started and had little rust) for a few hundred dollars each to make more storage room.

Man how dumb was I and what would I do to have the '73 caddy and the '72 suburban today...

But, that was what these cars were worth at the time. I sold a 68 Miller Meteor combination, with removable landau panels, low mileage, cold ac and in really nice shape, for a grand, back in 1981. I would love to have it today! And had I kept it, the cost of storage and maintenance would far outweigh its appreciation. In the end, we can't keep them all.

Back