Federal beacon ray 175

Rocky Fluegge

PCS Member
here is a very nice federal beacon ray 175 with out a cut skirt. The chrome on the skirt is very nice. The bubble is not cracked. Light scratches on little bigger scratch on the top. Could be wet sanded and buffed out if going on high end car. Lights up and works good. $250.00 plus shipping to your place.

Attachments

• DSCN7632.jpg
    DSCN7632.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 320
  • DSCN7634.jpg
    DSCN7634.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 396
  • DSCN7637.jpg
    DSCN7637.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 332
  • DSCN7638.jpg
    DSCN7638.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 416
  • DSCN7646.jpg
    DSCN7646.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 390
The light is a model 17 with a data tag from a 175. The skirt is actually a high skirt so with that skirt it would have a suffix code of "H" designating the high skirt. The light is well worth the money just because of the uncut high skirt. The high skirts are not too easy to find. Here is a you tube link to an actual 175. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UbHbfrWgxg[/ame]

Last edited:
once you get these bubble gum lights straight you won't forget them. 17. 2 bulb 173, 3 bulb 174, 4 blub and the 175, 4 bulb with two off set at a angle.

the neat thing about them is all the parts interchange the use the same motor and gears same wiper skirt and globe. the top plate and the bottom plate of the demountable version are the same. one can swap parts off one onto another the 6 volt will go on a 12 volt can with a simple resister in line under the skirt. a variable one will let you change the speed of rotation on it. but man the uncut skirt is hard to find on one. this one looks like it has the replacement tagg on it that is being sold on e-bay

Thanks for all the info. I have a few with cut skirts. One I think has a tag with the 17-h I will have to see? Was there other letter following prefixes? If so what do they mean. Because I know the others are 17's. One I have cleaned up for resale but did not post it up here. That one has 3lights inside and works great also.

once you get these bubble gum lights straight you won't forget them. 17. 2 bulb 173, 3 bulb 174, 4 blub and the 175, 4 bulb with two off set at a angle.

the neat thing about them is all the parts interchange the use the same motor and gears same wiper skirt and globe. the top plate and the bottom plate of the demountable version are the same. one can swap parts off one onto another the 6 volt will go on a 12 volt can with a simple resister in line under the skirt. a variable one will let you change the speed of rotation on it. but man the uncut skirt is hard to find on one. this one looks like it has the replacement tagg on it that is being sold on e-bay
Rereading your post I see you answered my question on the prefixes. Thank you.. And sorry

the rational was the more bulbs the faster the flash as the light went across your eyes. some one sharper then me on them will have to add for the suffixes. the D was demountable. if the H was a high skirt I'm wondering what was the height of a high one and what was standard before it was trimmed? some of the pictures I see of the new york city PD cars show a skirt that has to be at least 18 inches tall.

The 174 was indeed 4 bulbs, but it had the 'Super Beacon Ray' designation, in the fact that it oscillated. It was most often seen on Hawaii 5-0. The 175 was the 'Hill Light'(2 off-axis angled bulbs), and the 176 was the 4 bulb Beacon Ray that rotated only.

the rational was the more bulbs the faster the flash as the light went across your eyes. some one sharper then me on them will have to add for the suffixes. the D was demountable. if the H was a high skirt I'm wondering what was the height of a high one and what was standard before it was trimmed? some of the pictures I see of the new york city PD cars show a skirt that has to be at least 18 inches tall.

Standard Federal Beacon Ray skirt is 5", the one Rocky posted is most likely the same as the ones NYPD used. About 10" if I recall correctly.

Actually, I just checked my Federal "spec" sheet and the "H" skirt is 11".

The light is sold, The other light I have is a 17-D three light. I will measure the skirt on that one for you russ. Thanks again for the info on these.

Back