gurney

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
I was going to hijack the other threat but why. this kind of discussion belongs here any way. Richard is that gurney a Washington or ferno-washington or just a ferno?? this is the first time I have noticed it. looks to Me to be correct for a mid 50 car. just throwing this out not to point fingers just to say if you get the chance you might swap with some one that has a older car with a newer gurney. I got rid of all mine when I found the 3 a like. that is to say the service up graded in 86. it is these kind of things that mean only a point or two with the authenticity judge. that can mean the difference between places in a tight race. had a vary knowledgeable person told me this one meet. he was right.

Attachments

• Apr24th004 gurney.jpg
    Apr24th004 gurney.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 89
With the orange foot pad, I would have to believe that his is a mid 1970's or later gurney, unless the foot pad had been changed.

With the orange foot pad, I would have to believe that his is a mid 1970's or later gurney, unless the foot pad had been changed.

I recovered it in orange to match the interior. I'm sure my cot is an older molder not correct for the mid-70's. This cot is very manual in that it actually has hooks on the sides to keep the wheels up with the bed.

Richard

got to be one of those old knee breakers ones with that hinge. but was there a tag on it saying who made it? is this what it lookes like up?

Attachments

• ferno older Knee breaker.jpg
    ferno older Knee breaker.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 88
I believe that stretcher to be a Ferno-Washington, the funeral home I worked for had one in their 1970 MM Cad combination back when that car was new. So I would guess it came out in the late 60's.

Larri

I was going to hijack the other threat but why. this kind of discussion belongs here any way. Richard is that gurney a Washington or ferno-washington or just a ferno?? this is the first time I have noticed it. looks to Me to be correct for a mid 50 car. just throwing this out not to point fingers just to say if you get the chance you might swap with some one that has a older car with a newer gurney. I got rid of all mine when I found the 3 a like. that is to say the service up graded in 86. it is these kind of things that mean only a point or two with the authenticity judge. that can mean the difference between places in a tight race. had a vary knowledgeable person told me this one meet. he was right.

Ferno and then F-W both offered this model; it's a #54, offered at least into the 1970s. Many services moved stretchers from car to car as they were replaced. We had one in service until at least 1982, but it was probably purchased new about 1960.

Last edited:
got to be one of those old knee breakers ones with that hinge. but was there a tag on it saying who made it? is this what it lookes like up?

This one is a #54-L "lowboy" or "knuckle buster;" they were designed for use in low-headroom vehicles such as station wagons.

Back