1964 Chevy - Pinner Hearse

It's on page 136 of Gregg Merksamer's book. I'd post a pic but it's copyrighted material. The photo is Walt McCalls.

It also has a new owner as of today, but I'll let that person have the glory...at least Paul will still have the only CHRYSLER Pinner!

Congratulations on the acquission... are you going to restore it back to original condition?

Congratulations on the acquission... are you going to restore it back to original condition?

Actually yes for the most part. Originally it had steel wheels & baby moons with no trim rings, not sure yet what engine it had. Seller has all 6 spears that ran down the sides behind the wreaths. Tom McPherson has been a true friend in this venture, he verified what it is & that it is a real Pinner. I went to Tom a few days ago for an honest opinion & both he & Walt really came through for me with information & several photos they have of the car when new.
Being based on a Biscayne wagon, i'm wondering if it originally had a 6-banger in it or a V-8. It does still have the original Powerglide in it but no engine. I have several small blocks in the shop so it'll get one of them. I'm very excited about this Pinner & thrilled to get started on it. Once it's home i'll put it all together quick since the bumper, grill, & everything else are currently removed & set a small block in it to bring the front end down where it should be.
As excited as I am about it, the '66 ambulance still gets her TLC first. I'm doing interior work this winter & cruising it one more summer with the Miamitown patina look. Fall 2011 it goes to Rocky for bodywork & paint, then i'll start on the restoration of this beautiful Pinner.

Congrats on the new coach!!!!!

So, is this the last of the 3 Pinners known to exist, or is this a different one that surfaced?

Congrats on the new coach!!!!!

So, is this the last of the 3 Pinners known to exist, or is this a different one that surfaced?

Not sure John, there's Paul's Chrysler ambulance & Ron's Ford van ambulance. This is the 3rd Pinner I know of, if anyone knows of any more it would be Paul!
In case the seller pulled the ad, here's a pic for everyone...

364060d_20.jpg

Attachments

• 64 pinner.jpg
    64 pinner.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 146
If the Powerglide is factory that rules out the high-HP 409's, but it could've had the 340 horse 409. The rear end ratio may clue you in more, assuming that stuff came from the factory with no special orders. It would've had the 6, a 283, 327, or the low-HP 409. Personally I'd find a cheap 348 and put 409 valve covers on it. No one would know the difference.

The small "V" emblems mounted on the front fenders indicate that this vehicle was fitted with a small-block V-8 engine - in this case....a Chebrolet 283 probably with a two-barrel carb. These fender-mounted emblems were very specific indicators as to the engine fitted by the factory and anyone of a certain age remembers being able to identify the powerplant in any Chevy by looking at these emblems. Each engine had a different emblem.

Thanks for the info Keith. Speaking of emblems... directly above those "V" emblems in the photos of this car "when new" Tom & Walt shared with me there's what i'm assuming are Pinner emblems... something that'll have to be replicated if they aren't in one of the parts boxes!
(Sorry, won't share these pix without Tom & Walt's permission first but will say this car was stunning back in the day...)

The car has an aluminum powerglide, which was standard with the 327 engine in 1962 & 1963, however, sometime in the early introduction days of the 1964, the steel cased powerglide that was standard with the 283 engines was dropped, and all V8 engines came with the aluminum powerglide. The front right fender on the car appears to have been a replacement fender based on the patina of the paint in comparison to the rest of the car, so that throws out that as a indicator. When I look at the left front fender, that appears to have the same patina as the rest of the car, and it also has a 283 emblem on it. Based on this, I believe that the original engine was the 283 which was the most popular engine used for the 1964 Chevrolet models.
It is highly unlikely that a standard Biscayne wagon would have been outfitted with a 409 engine, especially knowing that this was a low dollar conversion. Also, if I remember correctly, the engine mounts for the 409 engine are located differently on the frame than the motor mounts for the 283/327 engine.
According to Jack Pinner, there were 3 identical cars built like this, and to the best of his recollection, all 3 went to Brooklyn, with him delivering 2 of them, and Tom delivering the 3rd.

I won't post pictures, but no harm in posting the links to them:

side

front 3/4 view

These pictures are from an ad from when the car was for sale about 10 years ago, and long after the car was built. I am of the opinion that the baby moons have been added by someone else, and that the car originally left the factory with the standard Chevrolet hub cap. Also, in case you were not aware, the Chevrolet station wagon uses a wider wheel than the standard car, and was originally delivered with 8.00 x 14 tires.

You're right...there is a Pinner emblem on the front fenders. This may be the same as that on Paul's Chrysler. Maybe he can have a pair made for your car if they aren't in the parts boxes.

Dwayne, Glad to here you are going to restore the Biscayne Wagon. The best of my memory it had a 283 cu. engine and started life as a 4 door. The 2 rear doors were removed and extended approx. 25".
I made and installed the headliner, as far as the rest of interior can not remember. Only these facts the orginal metal lower trim panels that go over wheel wells was reused. The other panels above metal panels 1/4" plywood, cut to fit, first covered with coachwading finally with naugahyde.
The more I think about this may remember more. Tom Pinner

Dwayne, Glad to here you are going to restore the Biscayne Wagon. The best of my memory it had a 283 cu. engine and started life as a 4 door. The 2 rear doors were removed and extended approx. 25".
I made and installed the headliner, as far as the rest of interior can not remember. Only these facts the orginal metal lower trim panels that go over wheel wells was reused. The other panels above metal panels 1/4" plywood, cut to fit, first covered with coachwading finally with naugahyde.
The more I think about this may remember more. Tom Pinner

Tom thank you for that info! The headliner is still in it & most of the front interior. It looks to be a light gold color door panels, carpet, dash, & headliner. The seller sent better full-size pix tonight. You must have done a great job on the headliner, it's still there unlike the rear interior sides!
I'm very anxious to get it home & clean it out, then assemble it with what's there. The rear interior really interests me as to how it was originally set up, you can't see much currently as the rear is loaded with the front bumper, a spare tailgate & boxes of parts.
Do you recall how many of these your shop may have built? The book Todd found this car in said it was operated by Fred Herbst & Sons funeral home in Brooklyn... that same info was found in the car by the guy I bought it from & Paul says he heard Pinner built three of these service cars.
This is so fun learning about a long lost procar. I may try to jarr your memory with some fresh interior shots once it's home & cleaned out if you don't mind.

Dwayne, yes there were three of these service cars built on Chevy Wagons and the one you have is the only survivor I know of that exist. Jack, delivered two of these and I delivered (think yours) to Franklin Body in Brooklyn, NY. While there went to do some sight-seeing in Manhattan and World Trade Towers were not there or even started. Will do all I can to help as you progress with this project. Tom Pinner

Actually yes for the most part. Originally it had steel wheels & baby moons with no trim rings, not sure yet what engine it had. Seller has all 6 spears that ran down the sides behind the wreaths. Tom McPherson has been a true friend in this venture, he verified what it is & that it is a real Pinner. I went to Tom a few days ago for an honest opinion & both he & Walt really came through for me with information & several photos they have of the car when new.
Being based on a Biscayne wagon, i'm wondering if it originally had a 6-banger in it or a V-8. It does still have the original Powerglide in it but no engine. I have several small blocks in the shop so it'll get one of them. I'm very excited about this Pinner & thrilled to get started on it. Once it's home i'll put it all together quick since the bumper, grill, & everything else are currently removed & set a small block in it to bring the front end down where it should be.
As excited as I am about it, the '66 ambulance still gets her TLC first. I'm doing interior work this winter & cruising it one more summer with the Miamitown patina look. Fall 2011 it goes to Rocky for bodywork & paint, then i'll start on the restoration of this beautiful Pinner.
Dwayne congrats on the new ride!! Every time i look at it i keep hearing in my head a line from Ez E about rolling up in my 64 impala.

Great info Tom thank you! It'll be neat to see if over the years either of the other two ever surface. It's hard to put it into perspective with the front end sitting so high, so i like to look at the older pix when it was still a very presentable car & sitting at stock height.

Tom it really is a thrill to post with you... one of the men who built this with his own two hands. You seem excited to see it again and I assure you it's in good hands, the styling of it is so unique. I applaud you & everyone else that was involved with designing & building this "back in the day" because it really stood out in a crowd... and it will again. In 1989 I built a 1964 Impala true SS and loved it, but opted to sell just before the birth of my daughter because money was so tight. Who would have ever thought this would pop up 20 years later so I can enjoy 1964 Impala styling again in a cool, stretched out service car.

Dwayne congrats on the new ride!! Every time i look at it i keep hearing in my head a line from Ez E about rolling up in my 64 impala.
Thanks Rocky, figured you'd like it. Now i'm hearing that song too... "Cruisin' in my six -fo"

Back