1937 Chrysler Imperial Limousine

When I as a little kid my dad worked for the Pennsylvania Licquor Control Board as a supervisor (definition he made sure all the state licquor stores were being run right in two Pennsylvania Counties). This required state vehicle to travel in. At the start he was issued a 1/2 ton Ford panel truck about 1936 vintage as I remember he had it about two years due to his size six foot three inches tall and a bad hip it became painful for him to drive the truck. He put in for something better yeah well he got it a 1937 Chrysler Imperial sedan the state had confiscated from a bootleger (illegal booze maker/hauler}. What a step up dad was the man looked like big shot business man except for the state seals on the front doors. Anyway the Imperial was not the best. In the summer it was hotter than an oven the windshield cranked open, doing so you were greeted with all the dirt and fumes from the car in front of you so you kept it closed. In the winter it was helpless in the snow unless you ran chains (no snow tires in those days). It did ride great and the front seat was like a sofa. The only difference between his one and dads is the rear door (longer) and the leather in the front compartment. Looks like a neat original car that invokes great memories for me Cause i used to ride with dad on the job.

Back