Seeking High Top Ambulance in SoCal

I'm ready. Time to enter this new phase of my life and finally satisfy a desire I've had since I was 16...

I posted in the introductions, but will repost an excerpt here:

I need to have a 1975 or older ambulance to avoid CA smog law, but I prefer older than that but not really late 50's or early 60's-- it must be a high top, and I much-prefer the over-under style headlights. I'm not so knowledgeable to know what years those might be for Pontiacs and Cadillacs, but I believe it is mid 60s. It also must have windows in the back and not have solid panels like a hearse would. A combination is acceptable, but needs to have the high-top roof.

I do not need all of the ambulance equipment in the back. As blasphemous as it might sound, I intend to make it so I can have a fold-down back seat much like a station wagon of that era.

What I really want is (probably) someone's parts ambulance, one that has enough of the external chrome for headlight bezels and lenses for the lights, but I do not need original parts. Pitted and/or aftermarket is fine. I don't mind some rust, but CA type rust is preferred. I don't want to deal with pervasive bubbling structural rust. I have owned and welded/repaired man British Classic Minis and know what structural rust is and can deal with it, but something that will be asked to tow around about 3500lbs of car and trailer (ultimately) I do not want to have to make life-saving structural repairs to. I don't need a drivetrain, but having one is certainly a bonus. A running/driving project is always better than a non-driving project. I hate to see people who begin a project by disassembling a running vehicle for a "frame up" restoration when so much of the work can be done while the car is still functioning.

I'm not a hotrodder or super-knowledgable in all things classic cars, but I know my way around a wrench and have owned (and still own) dozens and dozens of cars. For this desire, I'm after a look. If I'm going to drive the smallest thing on the road (classic mini coopers) I also want to have a representative of some of the largest, most stylish behemoths on the road. I'm very very sorry if that upsets some of you. I completely respect and appreciate all of you who choose to preserve the integrity of these glorious land yachts. It is very important to preserve cars this way for future generations to appreciate the beauty in the styling of these cars. But I want a car I'm not afraid to use, not afraid to let sit in a public parking lot, not afraid to openly share with others for fear their zipper will scratch my paint, or that screwdriver they forgot in their pocket will poke a hole in my interior.

I am torn between going to pick up that gold ambulance that's in prescott az area for $500, or spending a few thousand more and getting something that's more complete. I received "current" photos back in late March from that prescott seller and they are a far cry from the ones he is using to advertise the car. Lots of chrome bezels missing, headlight buckets sitting loose, broken windshield and so on... If spending a few grand will get me a running car to start with, I'd probably be wiser to go that route.

So it is with that I finally make this post and reach out to you all and ask for your help, your understanding, and if necessary your forgiveness.

I'm in SoCal and don't mind traveling for the right car. I missed several that were for sale recently near Hemet, but I think they were 70s cars, which again would be acceptable but not 100% ideal. I would consider trading a classic mini for an ambulance if that were something that anyone were thinking, but I've always seen trades as a no-win situation for most people involved.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to post and, if you made it this far, for reading.

(PS: I do NOT want a ghostbusters replica and promise not to attempt to make one-- that's one thing that always got/gets my goat is that any classic ambulance gets compared by the general public to ghostbusters. GAH!)

Hey Mike, welcome (back) to the forum!!! You're among friends here, and I'm sure you'll find this group a great source of information and assistance.

Pontiacs and Cadillacs with stacked headlights were in the mid-60s, I'm thinking Cadillacs were 1965-1968. Not sure about Pontiacs though.

If you go with a Pontiac, you'll be looking at a Superior only, as they were the only major builder of pro cars who built on the Pontiac chassis.

If you're wanting a hightop with windows, you'll be looking at a limousine style hightop ambulance only, as combination cars never came in hightop configurations. The no back-side windows in hightop ambulances were far more rare than limousine (full window) ambulances.

Ambulance

A friend has 63 Superior high top for sale. Sound like what you are looking for.
He is in the Riverside area . Best to contact him is early morning or late evening by phone 909-825-2079

Thank you for the link, Daniel. The amount I'd be willing to pay for the style and the apparent present condition of that one doesn't really line up and by quite a large margin, so I don't think I'll be reaching out. If I'm up for paying that much, it has to be a lot closer to what I'd call my ideal candidate.

No longer looking...

And yes, I realize I have had to swallow my pride (eat some crow?) with regards to the whole "ghostbuster's replica" comment in my original post...

In my defense, it was only 1 hour away, it was in my price range, runs and drives and stops, already has a CA title, and it is just bad enough while also being good enough to keep the livery at least for the next year or so. My 12 yr old son wants it like this for Halloween.

(I forgot to put the wheel skirts back on before I took the photo)

I AM needing a rear driver's side compartment window for it-- not the small curved glass, but the large sheet glass in the cot area. It currently is just plexiglass. I haven't looked real closely, but is it just flat glass or is there a slight bow to it?

Jk4zX4.jpg

Back