1970 cadillac rear bumper

John Zicha

PCS Member / EMT / PARAMEDIC
I hate asking tons of questions, but I guess that is the purpose of the forum (to learn). What bumper came with the commercial chassis? I thought that it was possibly a deville bumper that was modified at the respective conversion facility, but a 70 deville bumper looks nothing like it. Theres only 8 bolts that appear to hold everything in place. I wanted to just replace the right side but can't figure out what to do.

Attachments

• 20200530_232345.jpg
    20200530_232345.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 169
1970 Cadillac rear bumper

The bumper is a commercial chassis part , supplied by GM. The blades are the same 65-76 but some are smooth and some have cut outs for lights . You need blades from a 65-73 any coach builder . 65-69 have no cut outs for the back up lights 70-73 due. I ,ll chk with a fried I believe he has a pair . Your best bet is get a pair from a hearse. You would have to cut them down for the step arear but that is just a straight cut . You could use blades from 65-69 but you would have to cut the holes for the back up lights.

Last edited:
John, you might also check with Bumper Boyz in California. There are some very helpful people there, a man called Bumper Bob and a lady called Cookie have been helpful to me. Bumper Bob knows all about the professional cars and their bumpers.

It would look like that one did not have a step. But the rust in the mud catching trough is common to all. But as all ready stated the center sections were common with all of them. No matter what you need to drop the old and take it apart. Take them down to a welding shop and inquire as to cost for a repair and time frame. Then it's a little over 300 to get the 3 center pieces recromed. Take a hard look at the ends if they are scratched up it's only a couple hundred more.
But what ever you do paint the back side before you put it back on.

That bumper definitely had a step originally. Unlike Bill, I have not heard good things about the "Bumper Boyz" in CA.

That bumper definitely had a step originally. Unlike Bill, I have not heard good things about the "Bumper Boyz" in CA.

I agree with what Kurt says, I have heard bad things about them, too. Ironically, I have been happy with the two items I bought from them and they are fairly personable and helpful.

their chrome plating doesn't hold up very well. It will look good for 2 or 3 years, and then it will start to rust. I have known Bobby and Carlos for over 20 years, and they are both great guys. One of them got tired of the traveling, and he opened a new shop with his dad called Superior Plating in Los Angeles. Just don't remember which one.

When living in CA I have dealt with Bumper Boys several times.....I would rate them 4 out of 10 on a scale......TI also have a friend who had to take them to court...He won the case.....Be careful is all I am saying if you decide to go with them

While your are looking, how about a step for a Miller Meteor? 1965 - 1970, I believe are all the same.

Paul did you remember to check out by the hornet's nest? :p

The wasp next was in the brake drum lying in a pile of iron out back, waiting for the scrap man to pick up.

Woodchuck probably buried it in dirt.

The step was never here. Robert Shepard thought that he had one, and when Dan Scully picked up all the parts that he had, there was no step in the pile. Just like so many other things in life, it will probably never happen.

I have a spare M-M step that was used on the '74-'76 Lifeliners, but not sure as to how many other years they used that step. Show us a photo of what you currently have.

1969 Miller Meteor rear bumper with step.... :D

Attachments

• MVC-007L.JPG
    MVC-007L.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 90
asking questions

Welcome to the club. You won't come near the amount of questions I've asked over the last 23 years. The biggest benefit of membership is the help you'll get here!!!!!

That bumper in the photo would never have had a step. Not every ambulance had a step bumper. It was optional.

A step is just a shin skinner anyway!!

Back