1961 Eureka Hi-Boy Updates

Nicholas, congratulations on this ambulance and the fabulous job you seem to be doing. I say "seem" only because I am far from an authority on such things as finding period-correct bits and peaces. Truly, my hat is off to you!

it was a standard dash knob. they came in set screw, push on and as in the lighter a screw base. the center on looks to be a cable pull or pop up switch it would take a set screw knob

Do you recognize where the knob on the right came from???

attachment.php

Paul,
Don't say early '60s Chrysler, because it is not. They are very similar, but not the same. If you want any of the '60-'64 Chrysler knobs, I have many that you can have.

Nicholas, if I can echo Bill's comment, wonderful to see a car like this brought back to life as it was initially made. Your posts are enjoyed ++.

Paul,
Don't say early '60s Chrysler, because it is not. They are very similar, but not the same. If you want any of the '60-'64 Chrysler knobs, I have many that you can have.

This is a 62 Radio but I think 61 is the same looks like a radio knob to me.

Attachments

• DSC05360.jpg
    DSC05360.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 474
Probably a long shot but I have two other people that I can call to see if they know anybody that was involved with Socorro Fire when that unit was in service as their service predates mine by a few years.

Phil Baca who's photo appears in the newspaper article passed away about three weeks ago. I had lost contact with him after he left the department and moved to Arizona in the mid 1980's. He would have been involved in any modification to that as a lot of work was done "in house" in those days.

Looks like Dan Scully has the prize - I think we might've discussed this previously somewhere... Looks like it is indeed a 1961 (Apparently same as 1962) Cadillac "Wonderbar" radio pull-out switch. Makes sense because all of these switches are pull-out type. There's even a set of two in the roof of the cab - one controls the air intake blowers (still works!) and don't know about the other guy. I believe I have the missing head for the middle-switch in a bag of misc. parts that I collected up from the crevices/whatnot). My guess on the rear switches is one for air blower and one for rear heater - but haven't had the opportunity to investigate.

Yes, the front headliner is held together with a safety pin - zipper might have gotten stuck so someone pulled the stitching. Hopefully fixable... I did find on eBay what I thought was the right light housing/cover, but apparently failed and it's too big. Anyone got ideas?

Joe - That's awesome news! I spoke with the Chief there (Joe Gonzales) who referred me to Mr. Matt Brannan who kindly sent the article and photo posted on other thread back in OCT. He said he planned to take better images in a few days and to call anytime, but then I never heard back. Called the cell number he gave and e-mailed once a month until January to follow-up, but no response. Hope nothing untoward happened to the gentleman - seemed like a nice guy.

Attachments

• RoofSwitches.jpg
    RoofSwitches.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
As part of more research, apparently a 1961 Eureka sales packet sold on eBay two years ago. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1961-eureka-ambulance-brochure-press-520448962 Of note, it lists an Irving Berkemeyer as distributor - and specifically identifies the "Missle II Ambulance" with an included photo that is a Hi-Boy extremely similar to my own. Did anyone in the club buy this packet? Not something I've seen before. Unfortunately the archived photos are tiny and I cannot see the long, detailed specifications sheet. It's quite possible this distributor is where the car was originally ordered from.

On another note - during interior cleaning, I thought it neat that this car does indeed have storage space in the passenger side fender similar to the 1964 Hi-Boy of Mr. McDonald. It isn't accessible from the outside though, just underneath the bench seat.

Attachments

• FenderCompartment.jpg
    FenderCompartment.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 387
one find some strange stuff looking threw something custom made. one wonders if it was ordered or Eureka just put it there because they could.

Inside looks better after a bath!

Linoleum cleaner took care of the floor pretty well, but the large black scuff marks are rather tenacious. They're actually raised up, so perhaps melted tar/asphalt that the stretcher was pushed through before being loaded. While it's true linoleum and the pattern runs through the whole material - I could tell the scrub brush was abrading the linoleum down around it and I chose to stop there. Will try some Goof Off or similar... There are a few screw holes from previous installation of a Ferno Model 173 cot restraint system for a Ferno "One-Man" stretcher of some kind when it arrived to Tres Piedras, NM Fire Department sometime in the late 1970s/early 1980s. Sadly, this agency also the source of the missing hanging hooks and I suspect the side curtains hardware too, probably other things. Going to try to a "Linoleum Repair Kit" to fill/paint the holes sometime soon too.

Unfortunately, the vinyl on the corner of the bench seems permanently stained/damaged.

By the way - the car has the unusual "feature" of the exhaust pipe exiting the car underneath the driver's door, the muffler basically underneath the firewall! Review of all my Eureka photos was no help - exhaust not really something folks intend to photograph. Anyone seen this before? I suspect it was a later change, perhaps the 1992 documented "restoration" by Taos, NM County EMS.

Looks like this car will get its rockers/floors fixed up and repainted mid-2017...

Attachments

• 2016-07-13 17.47.42.jpg
    2016-07-13 17.47.42.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 455
for the 63 of Brendon's we really want to save the flooring. it was in similar shape. I sanded the floor with 80 grit paper on the DA and followed up with 180 then 400. and finished it as you would a new floor. it worked out will. of course to do so ad get it even one will have to remove all the raised trim. you will need to clean it up and polish it anyway.

As always, thanks for the update. When that wood is restored it will be really something.
I did as Ed describes with the 52 Pontiac linoleum, though I did not go down to 80. Very slow and gentle got forty plus year old stains out and it polished up beautifully.

Might want to have second thoughts about sanding that Linoleum flooring as a lot of that contains Asbestos.

That exhaust location is pretty scary too. No way would I have an exhaust outlet under the passenger compartment of any vehicle.

Doesn't the '61 Cadillac Chassis Manual show the exhaust system for the commercial chassis? Every '61 Cadillac pro car had the same exhaust sytem, regardless of conversion company.

Doesn't the '61 Cadillac Chassis Manual show the exhaust system for the commercial chassis? Every '61 Cadillac pro car had the same exhaust sytem, regardless of conversion company.

This is from the Superior parts catalog.

Attachments

• 61.jpg
    61.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 403
for the 63 of Brendon's we really want to save the flooring. it was in similar shape. I sanded the floor with 80 grit paper on the DA and followed up with 180 then 400. and finished it as you would a new floor. it worked out will. of course to do so ad get it even one will have to remove all the raised trim. you will need to clean it up and polish it anyway.

As always, thanks for the update. When that wood is restored it will be really something.
I did as Ed describes with the 52 Pontiac linoleum, though I did not go down to 80. Very slow and gentle got forty plus year old stains out and it polished up beautifully.

Might want to have second thoughts about sanding that Linoleum flooring as a lot of that contains Asbestos.

That exhaust location is pretty scary too. No way would I have an exhaust outlet under the passenger compartment of any vehicle.

Not really any need to sand it down. It's in great shape - not much in the way of true stains. Only real blemish is the big black streak you can see - which is even on top of the metal piano hinge in the floor. It's a thick, raised up tar - just need to find something that will remove that without damaging the flooring itself.

This is from the Superior parts catalog.

Awesome! Looks like they cut it right after the front muffler and bent it outward. No idea when this was done, but photos show it was that way when the car was sold by Taos County in 2012. So, could've been this way since 1992 or earlier...

I would try rubbing the black tar like substance with gasoline, making sure to keep it off the linoleum. You might even use a few layers of painters tape and some plastic sheeting to protect the linoleum from the gasoline fumes. The gasoline should soften it and remove it. The other choice would be to use Simonize tar and bug remover. It works well, and probably wouldn't have any effect on the linoleum.
What product did you use to clean the linoleum? I have been looking for a linoleum cleaner and wax, but can't find it anywhere locally. Tried Lowes, Home Depot, supermarkets, etc.. The best that I have been able to find is the Armstrong linoleum cleaner, and the wax in 5 gallon pails, at $100 each, plus shipping. That is more of a supply than I would use in 2 lifetimes.

Back