62 M-M Guardian Ambulance - Auction

Pair of '38 Stude Coupe Express pickup (Projects). First one brought $30,000 and the second one brought $15,000. Goofy looking Panhard brought $22,000 and it was also a total project.

Last edited:
We drove out by Summit today around 1130, the crowd wasn't as big as I expected anywhere on the property, auction or cruise-in. I'm not really sure why I expected a larger crowd.

Drove by Avery also, there were quite a few folks there looking through the fence at things. There is a 1952 American LaFrance pumper on that lot that didn't attract any on-line bids as of late last night. I'll check later and if it still hasn't gotten any action I'm gonna throw a low ball up there and see what happens. Maybe I'll have a fire truck AND an angry wife!!!

Nice to see the Guardian proved me right, I thought $10,000 it went for $9,500. Haven't been following the auction we've been gone all day.

Haven't heard anything from Jeff and Derrick yet.

At least at $9,500, we know that the Guardian is not going to be parked under someone's carport to further deteriorate for the next 20 years! What a huge project that thing is going to be! I just hope that is restored correctly.

I doubt that a single car sold on this 2-day auction will be going to be scrapped!

Prices on everything were on the high end. The '47 S&S ambulance was probably one of the deals of the day at $3500. Looked to be a rust-free rig from the South-West that even had its original(rare) attendant's seat! A lot of these cars were from the South-West which makes me wonder if he didn't buy a lot of them from Desert Valley Auto Parts over the years.

Talked to Jeff and Derrick this morning, they both used the same word to describe the whole affair........CRAZY!!!!!

The 1952 American LaFrance that I tried to "low ball" went for $ 1,750, not a bad price but more than I would spend on it considering the heartburn it was gonna cause me with Barb.

As I have said before, NO ONE gets more money for project cars than Yvette Vanderbrink! She does a great job for the seller!

She has the secret down. Just like a auction in Nebraska , way above any value it should have. So now we know whose auction to walk away from. I have seen crazy before , it does my Hart good to know the community is as good as it is. Now I'm going to wait for her next one and see if she will take a consignments. That looks to be the way to move a car.

It was an enjoyable two days. While I didn't go for the professional cars, I did come home with a new project - a 1962 Studebaker Diesel with a Detroit 4-53 diesel engine. I also picked up a '62 Studebaker flatbed truck (gas) that came out of Montana with a much better body - plan is to make two into one.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 138
Great news Jacob!

Great news Jacob! I was registered as bitter number 13 but some health issues that cropped up last month caused me to have to cancel the trip. I spent nine days in intensive care now I'm doing the Rehab thing. My doctors you're a fan at the thought of me traveling. I don't know why everybody thinks the prices were so high I thought they were giving stuff away for Part of the time. I mean it doesn't take very long to spend a couple thousand dollars on parts. Might as well buy the mess on assembled car and get a few extra parts.

Great news Jacob! I was registered as bitter number 13 but some health issues that cropped up last month caused me to have to cancel the trip. I spent nine days in intensive care now I'm doing the Rehab thing. My doctors you're a fan at the thought of me traveling. I don't know why everybody thinks the prices were so high I thought they were giving stuff away for Part of the time. I mean it doesn't take very long to spend a couple thousand dollars on parts. Might as well buy the mess on assembled car and get a few extra parts.

WTF Brady, you're too young for this crap!

Question for those of you who attended the auction:

How many of the 700 cars were started? I would assume none of them were started. Yvette typically sells "As-Is, Where-Is" on these types of auctions.

Question for those of you who attended the auction:

How many of the 700 cars were started? I would assume none of them were started. Yvette typically sells "As-Is, Where-Is" on these types of auctions.

Zero - No cars were started at all. A lot of cars were driven home after purchase by the seller, put in storage, and never started again. They were pulled out and sold without any attempt to get them running.

Would have enjoyed seeing you there. I heard you were having some health issues - I hope it wasn't that Packard that I sent you that caused your problems. I didn't think all the prices were crazy. Some stuff went high, but I thought some stuff went pretty reasonable.

All the folks I know that attended the auction said the same thing........a nice piece that you would think would bring a higher price would sell for "cheap". Meanwhile a steaming pile of cow s**t next to it would bring a huge price. No rhyme or reason to how the bids were going at all!!!

I will say this....the vehicles that I had my eye on sold just about where I figured they would, except the American LaFrance pumper, it went for a lot less than I figured. The Divcos went for almost exactly what I thought they would, and the Guardian I missed by $ 500. Not bad, maybe I should "handicap" auctions for a hobby!!!

........... but some of those "nice" cars were more common and some of those "piles of $#!+" were rare and much more highly sought after. You have to look at more than just condition when doing a price comparison.

When you factor in the buyer's premium, other on-line buyer's costs, and the fact that NONE of the cars were running.......... they all sold on the high end. None of those cars would bring that kind of money(factoring in all buyer's premiums &fees) if posted on eBay and listed "As-Is", non-running, and in some cases..... not even tires!

Wish I could've been there.

Wish I could've been there. I had a hotel reservation and was registered as buyer number 13. And then the stupid stroke intervened and prevented me from being there. There were a couple of things there I would've surely brought home. Rare is an understatement

I spent a couple hours Thursday at the tire shop in Norwalk, on 250 just north of downtown, getting new drive tires on the big truck. I saw no less the 6 wreckers (roll backs) go by with vehicles from the auction. I noticed one of them was one of the Dodge fire trucks, a pretty nice looking piece.

We were out and about yesterday and our travels took us by both the Summit and Wolohan locations. There were still quite a few vehicles at Summit and quite a few more at Wolohan's. There were several trucks (wreckers) loading at Avery.

I would think they would have all been "moved/removed" by now.

Back