Passing Of Kevin O'Connell

James Fischer

PCS Member
I have been informed by Lou Farah,that Kevin O'Connell owner of B&M Siren has passed this evening.

As quoted by Mr Farah:

"It is with a heavy heart that I announce that my dear friend Kevin O'Connell passed away this afternoon. Donna Culwell had taken him to the cemetery to place flowers on his mother's grave when he collapsed. He was at the hospital this afternoon and passed away at 7:04 this evening.. A giant in the professional car world has passed. I will miss you my brother"

Kevin was a long-time PCS member and President of the California chapter. He had been a Los Angeles emergency ambulance driver/attendant in past years.

His generosity, his helpfulness, and his friendship will be missed. RIP Kevin. Thanks. :(

It was my privilege to spend a few days in March with Kevin, during the planned LA Mid-Winter meeting dates.

He was a true friend to all, an expert and professional in all ways. I’ll miss just chatting about life, politics, and history. His advice was always spot on, and he was quick to tell you what he didn’t know (which wasn’t much!)

He has been suffering for some time. He was too humble to share it widely. I am glad he had so many friends looking out for him up until the end.

I remember meeting Kevin at a couple of PCS Int'l Meets, he was a very nice guy. Kevin was well liked and known by many, he will be missed. My condolences to Kevin's family and friends.

Rest In Peace Kevin!

Kevin attended the International Meet in Albany in 2010, and came to the banquet in a recreated uniform from his days driving for the Los Angeles Emergency Ambulance Service. He also gave my father, a patch collector, two of the uniform patches (there is a left and a right). Great guy. I also saw him in 2016, when he graciously hosted a day of the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation Hal Bruno Camp for the kids of the fallen. He set up a tour around LA that everyone enjoyed, including me. Next time I'm in LA, I'll have a sandwich at Philippe's in his memory!

Attachments

• Kevin OConnell.jpg
    Kevin OConnell.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 294
I just spoke with him on the phone about a week and a half ago. Kevin worked right up to the end, through all of his treatments, even knowing that he would not be around in 6 months. A great guy to talk to.

Really enjoyed the time I got to spend with him.
He fought a good fight. Glad to know it's over for him and he can now rest. But knowing Kevin he is
Oiling the gates right now so they don't squeak when others come in . :applause:

I don't know anyone that ever said an unkind word of Kevin. He had the personality that you could meet him and know you had an instant friend. He was kind to everyone. We know a lot of people in the club but Kyle and Barb always bring up Kevin he will be missed in our house.

Truly one of the “Good Guys.”

Kevin was an amazingly talented, kind, and generous individual. He always had a smile, he always had a kind word, and he always offered encouragement. It was an honor to call him my friend. The sense of loss I feel is immeasurable.

Last year would have been the time to have done
this when Kevin could have enjoyed it. After all the award is an honor to share with a member not
to utilize a member that has past. I agree with the sentiment though. We will honor past members as we have done. But lets use this award to encourage live members to do more.

Last year would have been the time to have done
this when Kevin could have enjoyed it. After all the award is an honor to share with a member not
to utilize a member that has past. I agree with the sentiment though. We will honor past members as we have done. But lets use this award to encourage live members to do more.

I dont think there is ANYTHING in the selection process that says you CANT award it posthumously. I have to disagree with you, Ed. Kevin has done more for this club than anyone I can think of. I fel the selection committee should very very seriousl consider this

it has been done before i did not agree with it then either. this is not the award to honer the dead. but I feel that we may need one. think back on who all we lost this last year. some that we do not personal know may have been will liked by people close to them. but not as much known to the whole club. but it would be something to bring up to the board. do we need to have a most missed award for a member that has passed? chapters could present a name for consideration to the board meeting it could be decided then and awarded to there family at the banquet. it would not have to be awarded every year. but all names submitted would be considered.

but i don't want to see the keel award become this award. it should be used to pump up the membership. as Ann wanted it to be. to honer a living member to carry forward the enthusiasm that John had into then club. but we have lost two members who battled cancer this year. I liked the hell of of one but was Inspired greatly by the other. how do I choose which one to vote for?

As the unofficial, self-appointed leader of the John Keel Award Committee (made up of me and past recipients), there is no written criteria for the award. It is intended for someone who has shown Youthful Enthusiasm for the PCS. Since the decision is based on opinion, it can be awarded to anyone the committee chooses. Living or dead is not a defined qualification. It is something we will consider, thanks.

As the unofficial, self-appointed leader of the John Keel Award Committee (made up of me and past recipients), there is no written criteria for the award. It is intended for someone who has shown Youthful Enthusiasm for the PCS. Since the decision is based on opinion, it can be awarded to anyone the committee chooses. Living or dead is not a defined qualification. It is something we will consider, thanks.

Thank you, Steve. All i want is for due consideration to be given

re: Passing of Kevin O' Connell

Gene Smith and I met in L.A. right after Labor Day 2017 to visit Kevin after he had recovered from his initial surgical procedure. As usual it t was a fun visit and Kevin was great tour guide.We had lunch at Phillipe's , visited Griffith Park and the observatory, walked the Hollywood Hall of Fame, drove by Hugh Heffner's Playboy Mansion, toured the Queen Mary, and saw various other sights. This is a shot of Gene and Kevin at one of the of the facilities that refuels LA county buses where Kevin was working at the time. This is a typical Kevin pose, with him explaining a technical aspect of the plant which compresses natural gas to power the buses. I believe he told us the county operates 11 or 12 such facilities.

Attachments

• IMG_1624.jpg
    IMG_1624.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 165
A few pictures of Kevin's '59 Eureka ambulance, in better days. I believe that he sent these to me somewhere around '82-'84. As I recall, he had owned it since the mid-'70s.

Attachments

• '59 Eureka 1.jpg
    '59 Eureka 1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 114
  • '59 Eureka 2.jpg
    '59 Eureka 2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 112
  • '59 Eureka 3.jpg
    '59 Eureka 3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 112
Back