'73 Superior "Fat Boy" In So. Cal.

Yes. The body was the only thing widened.

Had 1 here owned by Greece Vol. They burned all photos and denied ever buying it. It was selected by a 5 woman board, first step into the world of vans.

Salesman delivered it with 800 pounds of concrete blocks in back to keep it on the road.
Car was quickly designated as "Waddles" on the radio and last car out unless there was a total disaster.
There is video of Waddles on line, Greece Holiday Inn Fire. That was Waddles only run that year.

Waddles was quietly sold to a gentleman who bought used ambulances and sent them to S America Missions.

Had 1 here owned by Greece Vol. They burned all photos and denied ever buying it. It was selected by a 5 woman board, first step into the world of vans.

Salesman delivered it with 800 pounds of concrete blocks in back to keep it on the road.
Car was quickly designated as "Waddles" on the radio and last car out unless there was a total disaster.
There is video of Waddles on line, Greece Holiday Inn Fire. That was Waddles only run that year.

Waddles was quietly sold to a gentleman who bought used ambulances and sent them to S America Missions.

I take it they did not approve of there choice?

I do not agree with the above posts. I ran in 3 different Superior 61 Chevys (2 - 1973s and a 1974). The only problem that I had was there were very light on ice and slid easily. I did not notice that wind bothered them too much. 2 of the vans had windows on the street side with cabinets below the belt line and the other van had the street side wall of cabinets.

You Loved Them or Hated Them

I was in the love column. We would park our normal size raised roof van and drive this when the snow and ice got bad. Hard to imagine how you could roll one they were so wide.

Only the body was widened, but you can roll anything given speed and an inexperienced driver. Easier to blame the vehicle than to blame yourself for your inability to have common sense and good driving habits. There is no lack of responsibility when things go wrong.... just blame someone or something else, and hope that everyone else buys into it.

Back