Guinness World Record

Received word today that we were part of a successful bid to set a Guinness World record for the longest parade of hearses. The event was held Saturday, September 17th in Hell, Michigan. The event was sponsored by another hearse club but was open to anyone owning a hearse. Other PCS members were there too. Even though I don't have the same ideas about how to preserve pro cars as some of those in attendance I do respect the fact that there were 51 pro cars that could have met a worse fate. Congratulations to the other attendees. Information about the event can be found at www.largestparadeofhearses.info.

Way to go to the 51 hearse Drivers and their hearses !

Is there a ambulance record set yet ? I bet that will be next.

Thanks for the news,
Darren

I googled "largest parade of ambulances" and the "largest parade of emergency vehicles" came up. It appears that the task of setting a record for ambulances only has not been done as of yet.

World's longest hearse parade? Where have I heard that before? Congratulations to all who participated in the Hell event. This accomplishment has got to really sting for someone out in California who shall otherwise remain nameless. Way to go people.

Is there a ambulance record set yet ? I bet that will be next.

According to Guinness, there is no such record yet, but there is one for the largest single hearse (65.71 ft long)

World's longest hearse parade? Where have I heard that before?

It was posted on this site right after the September 17 event, but it took until December 2 to get the official Guinness adjudication and confirmation back.

It is a common misconception that Guinness sends representatives to every record attempt. The fact is, you have to pay $$$$$ to have a judge present during the event. So instead, most people (including us) send in photo and video evidence, along with log books, witness statements and media corroboration (newspaper articles or TV news clips). (The media corroboration is the only thing you can't control, so that is why many Guinness attempts can't be confirmed.)

As Rich mentioned our event is open to ALL hearse owners, regardless of their views on preservation vs. customization. It is always the third Saturday in September, in Hell, Michigan.

See you in Hell.

I would love to be a mouse....

I would love to be a mouse in the house out in Burbank when that news arrives!!!!

Anyone want to try to name all 51 cars (year, chassis and conversion company)?

There is a list of all of the drivers and the vehicle descriptions from the Hell event at the link I posted above.

I read somewhere that someone may have organized a larger gathering of hearses but failed to follow through and get the accomplishment certified. I feel bad for the participants if this is true. Thank you to Steve and the group from Hell for following through.

Rick you got to let things go. not all of us care that this event is for all hearse enthuses not just us stockers. a lot of goths hot roders and mild customs out there and a few wild all out. pictures get post here and your get to hear shame. post a stock car pictures on those type of web sites and you get to here how neat it would look if only. no need to apologise or make excuses, those that are worried will just have to learn to get around it. there are well attended events that cars other then over restored stock cars attend to. if they were near me I would attend them to. the Ida of having a car is to show it off.

if I remember right it was 70 + in southern calf so we know that now there is a goal to have the none contested largest number. what I can't say is how many ambulances were in the parade at Lou's event. but when your into instant gratification it's no wounder there was no follow up

they have to be commended for following up and getting it recorded. now if the event is advertised in advance we may be able to help be part of a number that exceeds 75. all Hearses or combos set up as Hearses. it would be a fun night out celebrating Holloween. I could be tempted to pull my wheel covers and expose my lug nuts for a night.

all Hearses or combos set up as Hearses. it would be a fun night out celebrating Holloween. I could be tempted to pull my wheel covers and expose my lug nuts for a night.

Technically, I think that flower cars could be counted in the procession count too. When I looked into doing an attempt with Guinness, they told me that any car that was built to hold caskets as its purpose, could be counted in our procession. If that's the case, flower cars that are made to hold a casket would count too.

now if the event is advertised in advance we may be able to help be part of a number that exceeds 75.

The parade is in conjuction with our annual all hearse show in Hell. It is always the third Saturday in September, so mark your calendars:

Saturday, September 15, 2012
Saturday, September 21, 2013
Saturday, September 20, 2014
Saturday, September 19, 2015
Saturday, September 17, 2016

all Hearses or combos set up as Hearses.

Combos are acceptable to Guinness, only if they are still capable of carrying a casket. (All rollers and hardware in place.)

Technically, I think that flower cars could be counted in the procession count too. When I looked into doing an attempt with Guinness, they told me that any car that was built to hold caskets as its purpose, could be counted in our procession. If that's the case, flower cars that are made to hold a casket would count too.

Actually, the Guinness rules state: "All the vehicles must be capable of carrying a coffin and must be, or have been in actual service as a hearse."

So I think the key is "in actual service as a hearse". While a flower car could carry a coffin, it is by definition, not a hearse.

The rules also state that there can not be any breaks in the line of vehicles.

We would love to have flower cars at our show, but as the Guinness record event organizer I would stage any flower cars to be at the very end of the parade. That way, if Guinness counts them as hearses, great.... if not, then they would not cause us to have any gaps in the line of hearses. Better to error on the side of caution, than to just assume a flower car is the same as a hearse.

Photos and videos of the 2011 record setting event can be found at http://www.longesthearseparade.info

Last edited:
Flower cars should most certainly be counted as some were used in funerals as hearses.

Attachments

• Bernie DeWinter's Funeral 12-11-07 077.jpg
    Bernie DeWinter's Funeral 12-11-07 077.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 304
  • Bernie DeWinter's Funeral 12-11-07 054.jpg
    Bernie DeWinter's Funeral 12-11-07 054.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 298
Flower cars should most certainly be counted as some were used in funerals as hearses.

That particular flower car would be accepted by Guinness. As the event organizer, I would be sure to send Guinness photos of it.

However, I would not count this flower car as a hearse:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1320/894781226_ceb012ae36.jpg

Remember, these are rules set forth by Guinness before the event. Considering it took 9 weeks for them to review our evidence, I would rather not take the chance of a car being disqualified, 9 weeks after the event!

Besides, this discussion may be moot anyway. Does anyone here actually have a flower car, live close enough, and would like to join us next year?

mine doesn't have rollers...

Does it meet this Guinness requirement?:

"All the vehicles must be capable of carrying a coffin and must be, or have been in actual service as a hearse."

If so, then we could count you in the Guinness parade. If not, you are still welcome to show off your vehicle at the hearse show.

what's the big deal??

Were all of you referring to LOU FARAH?? Funny how no one [except for Ed] can say his name. Ok, I get it. Lou is no longer in the club. Some people may not like Lou. But he didn't steal money from us, didn't break any laws, and when his welcome was up..........he left. I still consider Lou my friend just as I do many of you reading this. I belong to Lou's car club [as do many of you] and try and get out to Burbank every other year or so to see him. I look forward to getting his car club newsletter in the mail just like I do the various PCS publications. So, this is what I wanted to say about LOU FARAH.

There is indeed a monetary fee charged by the Guinness folks when they send a rep to confirm an attempt at a record. I took part in the Largest Cadillac Parade this past summer in Barton VT (don't ask) and we were told that the fee for the rep was $7500. We also heard that a corporate sponsor (Cadillac) picked up the charge. Could there be a corporate sponser that might be interested in sponsoring a Pro Car attempt?

Back