What are you doing to get ready?

NJ Dorsey

Curious what's on everyone's checklists for getting ready from South Dakota?

I still need to put on the Hankook XLs that have been sitting in my basement for the last year.

I also want to get the rear axle seal redone on the Masterpiece.

What are smart things to bring or to check on the car before a big trip that one might not think of?

check all fluids and belts and hoses. check water pump for signs of leaks. check battery and charging system. you already mentioned the tires; thats where most people have issues. if belts and hoses "look" good, bring spares just in case. parts may not be available in small towns

I replaced the 10-year-old radials on the rear of the Masterpiece, one brake line, and the parking brake cables in the past week. Bought it on Jan. 1st and stuck it in storage immediately. Have been driving it a lot this past month and figuring out what all it needs.

Now me I'm going to trailer a couple of them. But having driven to a couple of events. The best advice i can give you is drive your car some. Take it to work a few times. Look you belts over and get the tire psi to the rating on the door. They put those numbers there for a reasion. But drive it then look it over. driving regularly will revile problems you miss with a quick trip to the park and back.. Pulse give you a better understand on how it handles.

Never leave on a long trip with new tires. New tires have a higher failure rate than tires that have been on a car for a year or two. Manufacturing defects usually show up in the first few thousand miles of driving.

Never leave on a long trip with new tires. New tires have a higher failure rate than tires that have been on a car for a year or two. Manufacturing defects usually show up in the first few thousand miles of driving.

You're crazy. I'm driving to Cinti on them on Saturday.

15 years ago I'd have gone with the your crazy. BUT TODAY when most tires you buy are fine products of China or elsewhere on the planet NOT THE USA Pauls advise carrys a lot more credence. I am shopping for Vogues now for the Masterpiece as the Michelins are now cracking in the tread so no trips far from home just now. The other thing to worry about on all LT-1 powered cars is the waterpump not that it fails often but when the seal goes and it leaks on the OPTISPARK you have a big time big dollar issue. Keep a close eye on the front of the pump for ANY sign of leakage. The only strange issue I had with the Masterpiece was the fuel line just in back of the front of the left rear wheel developed a large hole spraying gas around the left rear wheel I spotted it while the Coach was in the stone drive so no harm done. It was not easy to replace. Had this happened on the road it could have gotton hairey

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Back