saving a high top!

Found this '56 S&S last month and kept quiet here until a plan hatched.

dsc04538.jpg

A good friend was looking for a "guppy tail" ambulance. I turned contact information over happy to help out. He scored it for a cool grand. Yesterday started the extraction process.

dsc04833x.jpg

Although Darryl looks displeased, brutal heat and bugs had more to do with facial expression.

dsc04836y.jpg

Once all the pine needles were removed, we were satisfied that metal underneath had not deteriorated.

dsc04835qq.jpg

Poking around interior found many original components in cabinet, fender compartment, and rear door shelves.

dsc04842x.jpg

Stuff like upper cot hanging hardware doesn't appear to have ever been used.

dsc04843i.jpg

In very faint letters across top of rear loading door, Alexandria can be made out. Leaning toward originally servicing the DC area. This must have been secondary:

dsc04845bh.jpg

Neat to see the raised portion is backlit. Hidden letters reversed from inside.

dsc04847wf.jpg

Pretty much all here. Last ran 22 years ago. Radiator has been stolen, engine still turns. Thick coat of house paint inadvertently helped preserve metal.

dsc04848fc.jpg

Need to find a set of skirts and a gumball. Glad he doesn't have to track trim down!

dsc04850j.jpg

Odd this high top never had tunnel lights. Rear loading door hinges need fabricated. They may be the worst area of concern overall.

dsc04851ex.jpg

Making this ambulance even more enticing? Darryl found a pretty decent '56 Sedan DeVille with a clean front clip to serve as a parts car. It will even donate a windshield. Picked it up for a paltry $750.

In almost 5,500 saved images, I don't have a single like ambulance. Darryl would appreciate seeing any similar '54-'56 S&S for inspiration.

Forgot to mention/take picture of AIR CONDITIONED logo on front of raised portion between chrome moldings. After clearing brush and moving other vehicles out to make way for the '56, we were spent.

That is really a cool find and it is fantastic to know that it will actually be saved from the ravages of time and nature. I wish you guys lots of luck with your new ambulance.

55-56 Commercial Chassis fenders DO NOT interchange with std passenger cars, only Fleetwood 75 Sedans and Limos. A series 62 Sedan/Fleetwood 60 Special/Fleetwood 75 limo windshield will work in a Commercial car but a coupe/conv/sedan de ville windshield will not. I sent the last set of fenders here in OKC to CA for a Broadmoor Skyview. Great car! Hopefully I can start on my 56 Beau Monde soon. I look forward to seeing the progress on the S&S. Any other goodies in that yard?

Nice find, was that at the yard you and I talked about? (I didn't have nearly as successful a day at the yard I visited, but I'll post pics tomorrow.)

Here's another '56 S&S, also without tunnel lights, from Cincinnatti, OH.

Attachments

• 56S&SCadCincinnatiFDs.jpg
    56S&SCadCincinnatiFDs.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 132
Back