rear tire failure blow outs

The shop I took it to is a well know tire shop. He didnt offer any solution when doing the alignment just said its not straight on all four wheels.
Can a shop just align the four wheels problem solved?

In my experience here in Honolulu over the years good luck finding a shop that
knows what they are doing on old cars. Ive actually had times damage was done to components or things left loose or missing etc.

How can I eyeball it to see if leaf spring center pin wrong position ?

The shop I took it to is a well know tire shop. He didnt offer any solution when doing the alignment just said its not straight on all four wheels.
Can a shop just align the four wheels problem solved?

In my experience here in Honolulu over the years good luck finding a shop that
knows what they are doing on old cars. Ive actually had times damage was done to components or things left loose or missing etc.

How can I eyeball it to see if leaf spring center pin wrong position ?

just because it is "a well known shop" doesnt mean he knows what he is doing, especially since he didnt offer any solution. Time to find a new mechanic, Ricky. Find a local car club; ask their members where THEY go for their work. You need to network with other classic car owners. Otherwise youre just continuing your problems:beatdeadhorse5:

You can measure from the front spring eyelet bolt to the axle center. The body may be off the measurement should be the same each side. My guess would be the hole cup the center bolt sits in is either forward or aft about a inch. The may have it in he casting pocket. Nothing to do with the spring it would be the housing.
One would need to loosen up or remove the u bolts holding the housing to the spring. Lifted it up and make sure the head of the center bolt is in the hole. It could be broken also. That would have let it slide a little.

At weigh station in Honolulu where they weigh it for road tax when I was changing to Hawaii registration for this California car I recall they said 7300lbs. Guess I recall wrong.
Dont drive fast. No rubbing. I do carry some things. Always been radial tires. I think its always been the drivers side rear. Mostly sidewall blowout.

That's one heavy hearse. My all steel high-top ambulance only comes in at 8600 lbs.

Back