Rear Main Seal

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
Next big project on my 69 MM is replacing the rear main seal. I have located a mechanic who will do it. He wants the seal to be two half-moon rubber seals. All I can find on line are the pieces that are straight rubber and have to be pressed into place. Everywhere I look I only find the latter. Any ideas?
472 engine.
Thanks as usual!!!
Kevin

Let the mechanic purchase the seal that he wants, so if the job goes South, then he can't blame you for a faulty part. I believe that I know what he is going to try, and I also know that it isn't going to work out successfully.

I agree 100% with Pauls post. I want to add the following. Are you sure it the rear main seal? How do you know it is? We had Cadillacs of that era back in the day dripping oil on the ground at the rear of the engine and it was valve cover gaskets. WE NEVER HAD TO PUT A REAR MAIN SEAL IN ANY OF THE CADDIES OF THAT ERA. And that included clapped out NYC limos with 150000 miles on them. If in fact it is the rear main seal find another mechanic who will tackle the job correctly. The alternative is oils cheap for the price that job will cost it will buy a lot of oil.

rear main seal

The car is in the shop. I asked them to find the leak and tell me what it is. The answer is rear main seal- the mechanic said the leak was bad. He also says he can't fix it because they don't have a strong enough lift. I think they just don't. want to work on it. So I've found a mechanic for a local power company who has a truck lift in his garage and does work on the side. His dad is my neighbor.
The shop that has it will be replacing my smog pump as soon as it arrives (or when they get to it). A real sharp mechanic I've been using for my Seville says he doesn't have a waiting list for classic cars anymore because he doesn't have the time to get to them. This gentleman told me to get the two half-moon seals, not the rope kind...so that's what I guess I'm going to do! Thanks to all for comments.

Back