Ever See An AQC Olds Toronado Jetway Airport Limo?

Great article, Bill, thanks for sharing! My favorite part of the article was, and I'm quoting, "According to coachbuilt.com, soon after the Toronado’s 1966 introduction, coachbuilder Cotner-Bevington planned a line of custom hearses, ambulances, and limousines based on the Toronado’s front-wheel-drive chassis. But Divco-Wayne Corp., the parent company of Cotner-Bevington and also Miller-Meteor, which built premium Cadillac professional cars, nixed the idea of a coach based on the flashy Toronado. So Waldo J. Cotner and Robert Bevington sold their stock in the company and formed their own independent firm to manufacture the Toronado coaches. The first vehicle produced by the Arkansas-based American Quality Coach Company was the Jetway 707.

Cotner and Bevington obviously had a problem with calling it a stretch limo, even though that’s exactly what it was. “Not a ‘stretchout,’ but a jig-built, carefully crafted coach… the only coach specifically designed for this many passengers in individual, foam-upholstered, bucket seats,” AQC’s brochure explained."

Thank you. I really enjoyed the article. As a 12 year old when the 1966 Toronado came to the local dealership I was really impressed. Even though I don't like FWD cars, I would love to have one of these. What is classier, a Checker airport car or this?

It was too bad that the never got anything but the small busses made. Would have loved to see what the ambulance was to look like.

Second generation power units went into a little over 3000 GM camper/motorhomes.

Interesting unit with plenty of power and too narrow of a front wheel track. The front hubs that were fine for a car left a lot to be desired carrying a camper, and the wheels themselves were weak too.
Whoever married the drivetrain to the coachwork believed no work would ever be needed on the engine. Changing spark plugs required either dropping the driveline or cutting body panels.

The driveline was also WAY short on brakes to stop a camper.

It was too bad that the never got anything but the small busses made. Would have loved to see what the ambulance was to look like.

I have always been a fan of the early Toronados, they were gorgeous. I would love to have seen a Toronado ambulance, that would have really been something special.

This AQC Jetway 707 showed up at the PCS Micro-Meet in Flint in 2008. Certainly not "micro" in any way. It was driven in by a local fellow. It has not shown up since.

Attachments

• DSC03110.jpg
    DSC03110.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC03112.jpg
    DSC03112.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 125
Back