1961 Eureka Hi-Boy Updates

no me I would go for some enamel reducer. as I have a lot of that laying around. Ace hardware has a sealer wax in GL. when ever you strip a floor you want to use a sealer first if you can. but this was all I could find.

Well, as noted we cleaned the floor with water and Henry's multi-floor cleaner. This product is one of the few I've found that specifically lists linoleum as safe. The Eureka - unlike my Cotington 48 and Pinner-Chrysler - has true linoleum as opposed to vinyl sheet. One can tell as the pattern goes all the way through the material. Home Depot has it: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-32-oz-Multi-Floor-Cleaner-19122/202504363

The black tar-like materials were hardened and quick resistant to whatever we threw at them. Goo Gone/etc. made little dent in what was there. A flooring website suggested the use of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and solvent. Well - that worked remarkably with a bit of isopropyl alcohol. The "Magic Eraser" is basically a microabrasive foam, and was able to take off the "tar" stains with relatively minimal effort. Quick wipe-up with linoleum cleaner, rinse with water, and done. A little lighter than surrounding where I used the product, but I'm looking forward to a few coats of Armstrong Shinekeeper polish this weekend and suspect the difference will not be noticeable.

One interesting thing - there was a Model 173 setup installed sometime in the 1980s so the Tres Piedras Fire Dept could use their One-Man Cot (either a Model 26 or a Model 28 "Ferno-FLEX). This was of course removed prior to the car being given to Taos County EMS for parade use and summarily stripped of many items. There's a few screw holes in the floor from the missing clamp and "Antlers," and I surely don't plan on putting them back. I pondered buying a linoleum repair kit - which contains putty that you're supposed to guess the color and try to fill holes/tears with it. Lo and behold, a few bits of the "Magic Eraser" got stuck in the holes and I noticed that it peculiarly matched extremely well. The foam absorbed pigment/material from the linoleum as it abraded it - and turned the exact color of the floor. I packed the holes with the used material - and viola. Will see how it holds up with sealer/wax over top - or if it'll need a bit of epoxy. I'm not sure I could've found a better solution than that. If you don't know what you're looking for - it's barely visible. Surprising.

One further mystery may have been solved by Kevin O'Connell - namely, the missing, yet odd three-hole light bracket for the loading spotlight seen at http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29387&stc=1&d=1444080784 . It's not any form of Unity product that I have been able to find - all have four holes. However, Kevin suggested it might be a Federal Model 18 SolaRay mount - which he says could accept a Unity spotlight. Hard to find an image on Google - but I did, and it indeed has a triangular screw-pattern that seems to correspond to the missing bracket. Maybe someone has one and can trace a pattern on paper for me? Looks like I'm in the market for one!

Attachments

• Photo Aug 02, 1 13 25 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 02, 1 13 25 PM.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 633
  • Photo Aug 02, 1 18 13 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 02, 1 18 13 PM.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 548
  • SolarRay.JPG
    SolarRay.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 662
You can't beat the original pattern . mince trick with the magic eraser. I'll have to remember that.when they dry out you might put a drop of super glue over them to keep the plug in place

I lucked out and picked up a correct Washington cot bar from a fellow PCS member. The vintage of the car is such that it could've had either the expected "bulb" appearing release, or the usual cylinder typical of the Ferno-Washington Model 1 that was popular later. Ed Renstrom was kind enough to find a spare set of Washington brackets in his stash. Sadly too tall. No, can't just "chop" them down - the holes don't line up. I suppose Washington had different sizes! If I can't turn up the shorter height variant (who knew?) before next year when the car goes in for paint/glass - probably will use these as templates to get new ones made. Thankfully not too difficult a pattern to follow. Thanks again Ed!

With the help of another kind PCS member - was able to dig up the base to a Federal Model 18 SolaRay. While it's threei-hole initial appearance was promising - no joy when it came to direct comparison. It's not quite the right pattern... Surely, it's possible there was a change in dimension of the holes at some point - but the key issue is that a Unity deck light spotlight on said bracket is too "long." Additionally, it appears the original's attachment point was directly in line with the light itself (instead of the knob typically seen). I have thus far been unable to identify anything of that design. The 1964 Eureka-Cadillac Hi-Boy owned by Joe McDonald has the correct light in question - hoping to get a better look at it someday soon... (Photo courtesy of President Karsnia)

If anyone has ideas on either topic - always appreciate the help! :)

Attachments

• 2016-08-23 15.54.36.jpg
    2016-08-23 15.54.36.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 501
  • 2016-10-01 15.24.41.jpg
    2016-10-01 15.24.41.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 398
  • 2016-10-01 15.25.45.jpg
    2016-10-01 15.25.45.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 479
  • Light.JPG
    Light.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 485
Eureka was great about making things work for them. it would appear that they moved the mount from the bottom of the light housing to the back so that it would come straight out of the base. if you want drop Larri Dirks a line and have hem take a pictures of it for you. this is the best I can do from the ones I have. and here is a shot of the mount that were in the 58 they are closed on the bottom. and shorter yours we most likely that style. you get done with them send the others back up here I have acquired another Washington bar and could use them.

Attachments

• IMG_0065 3.jpg
    IMG_0065 3.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 467
  • 10 2011-11-22 a.jpg
    10 2011-11-22 a.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 435
Ever since I started watching this community 2 years ago, I've been constantly impressed by the beautiful work and attention to detail you guys practice. Very nice progress on the ambulance.:)

Tom at Nameplates Unlimited surely deserves his reputation for quality. I am also quite impressed at how period-correct the nameplates were. While I am sure some could - I doubt I would know the difference between an period nameplate and one ordered today from this vendor. Some of the alternatives I found seem more "modern" in appearance. Tom was also able to support my request for post/pin-type mounting.

We chose to go with just "RESCUE SQUAD" for generality. Reminds me of the unusual "RESCUE UNIT" window text on Joe McDonald's 1964 Hi-Boy, without being a total copycat. :)

Attachments

• 2016-11-11 17.21.15.jpg
    2016-11-11 17.21.15.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 369
  • 2016-11-11 17.22.43.jpg
    2016-11-11 17.22.43.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 388
Thanks for the tip on the nameplates. Those are good prices. I've been looking to get a couple more that say "FUNERAL COACH".

PCS Member Larri Dirks very kindly sent me photos of the light on the back of fellow PCS Member Joe McDonald's 1964 Eureka-Cadillac "Hi-Boy." Only marking is the GE on the bulb, which obviously isn't too helpful. It's not a Unity. Anyone recognize the manufacturer of this spotlight? I have heard it may be a marine light, specifically a masthead light?

Attachments

• 9050AB3D-.jpg
    9050AB3D-.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 441
  • 06A625B6-.jpg
    06A625B6-.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_5375.jpg
    IMG_5375.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 430
  • 04E55A73-.jpg
    04E55A73-.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 431
The car's cot bar and brackets were removed at some point. I've filled the holes in the floor where the Model 173 setup for the Model 28 cot previously was. Then came the task of the Washington Mortuary (not fully merged with Ferno until 1963) specific cot bar and bracket. A kind PCS member actually gave me a proper bar at the Gettysburg meet in 2016. Ed Renstrom also kindly gave me a set of brackets at Gettysburg, but I quickly learned there were multiple styles of brackets. There is a longer, open-ended bracket set that is very similar to the usual F-W ones. There is also a somewhat smaller bracket with a closed end. After learning this, Ed was kindly willing to trade for the other variant.

Foiled again - they still didn't match. It turns out the Eureka Co chose not to use the brackets "off the shelf" like everyone else... The bracket outline left on the fabric and indented into the wood along the driver's rear wheelhouse indicated a shorter height, and the screw holes didn't match. I was able to figure out from reviewing the factory photos visible in Tom McPherson's Eureka book that the brackets were placed upside down, and the "bottoms" were cut off to create a shorter height. This appears to have only been done for the Hi-Boy model.

Unwilling to mutilate original product, I had some duplicate sets made by a local machine shop. They did an awesome job! On the left is the "closed bottom" type, with the "cut bottom" type I needed. Since Ed desired his set back to use on his 1953 ambulance, I had a spare set made "just in case" for future projects. The one on the left is the copy. Honestly, I couldn't tell it wasn't made by Washington except for wear on the originals.

Now the question is whether I should get the copies finished - some of the originals seem to have been anodized.

Attachments

• 2017-06-05 17.57.16.jpg
    2017-06-05 17.57.16.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 323
  • 2017-08-05 23.28.48.jpg
    2017-08-05 23.28.48.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 316
  • 2017-08-03 18.31.59.jpg
    2017-08-03 18.31.59.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 321
I would just polish them. Light sand with 600 the 1200 to remove any scratches then buff them. You can get a good shine on them ,same for the cot bar.

Eureka was great at reporposin things. So we're they were located think farm equipment. You will find a lot these kind of lights on that style of equipment. Unfortunately they have gone to LEDs on the new stuff but grott. Still caries some. Might check there line. Think field lights.

I would just polish them. Light sand with 600 the 1200 to remove any scratches then buff them. You can get a good shine on them ,same for the cot bar.

Eureka was great at reporposin things. So we're they were located think farm equipment. You will find a lot these kind of lights on that style of equipment. Unfortunately they have gone to LEDs on the new stuff but grott. Still caries some. Might check there line. Think field lights.

The light is now known, pending return from chrome. Like the cot brackets and oxygen cylinder bases - it's a modified product and thus why I couldn't find another. I'll post more when I have the photos.

Why are you reproducing the brackets on the right again??

it's set up for duels

Aren't those readily available?

I am confused by this exchange. Brackets were on "left"/driver's side, and missing when I got the car. The car has a bench, it is not setup for dual cots. There is a Hi-Boy that was, a 1962 model.

I think Kurt is referring to the tall cot bracket on the right of the photo. Washington Mortuary cot brackets are not easily available. As discussed elsewhere, Their diameter and profile differs from later F-W products. Cost of reproduction wasn't much when added to the other set.

then is this one was set up for one gurney two hangers and one on the bench?

yes the Washington cot bars have a wider mount then Ferno. then the ones one this car have been cut down to fit the style of the wheel well.

Eureka used only washing products up till the end of the line in there cars. as did Armbruster in 53. I currently have a set of ferno mounts and bar holding my washing cot in the 53. that was why I need it back

The light is now known, pending return from chrome. Like the cot brackets and oxygen cylinder bases - it's a modified product and thus why I couldn't find another. I'll post more when I have the photos.

Still waiting for the light pictures.. :rolleyes:

Back