Removing hood by yourself

………. and that Chevy truck hood weighs about half of what a '75/'76 Cadillac hood weighs!!

the last 75 hood I replaced Kandy and I did it. don't make a wrong move and you can do OK. so here is what you do lets say you want to change hood hings. a smart man working with his wife will do one side at a time. first place a place of thin plywood, chip board, thick like 1/2 in cardboard over the glass tuck the edges under the fenders with the hood open. find you a stick long enough to hold the hood up in the front. the place the stick securely on the support and inside the lip of the hood go to other side of the hood from the stick remove the front two hood bolts. leaving the last on in place and like it was it was. have your helper hold the stick and the hood at the top so that it does not slide out. then you remove the back bolt and the front bolt. when you are ready loosen center bolt enough that the hood will slide all the way down in the adjustment. then you grab the hood a the rear with your out side hand right behind the hinge. from the top. when you remove the bolt with the other. you other hand will slide it down the hinge till it is resting on the glass agent your protector. at this point make sure you prop stick is good to go then remove the hinge out from under the hood. put the new one back under it in the reverse order. except rear bolt first. trade the stick do the other side and R&R that one. if your removing the hood one at a time slide the hood down the hinges agent the glass covering. prop stick in the center. then you and your partner come around in front remove the prop stick let the nose down pivoting on the upper tip of the hinges. then walk around to the side one on each side, pick it up walk out front with it. one sets there side down and then helps lift it up on that edge of coarse you set it on these will place 2x4 you set agents the wall sticking out. and before you lay it back a to the wall you have cover the paint with that blanket you brought out just for that. going back one is the part that gets tricky. find you a set of longer bolt that will go in to the hood. place the hood on the high spots of the hinges and the noise down. from the back side. put the long bolts in to the the hood threw the top hole they don't have to be tight but make sure then are threw the cage nut. then come around front. and the two of you lift the hood till it slides in the adjustment hole. prop stick in place with ethe one had on the back of the hood put the rear bolt in first then go over the the other side put that rear bolt in and you have the hood captured. take your long bolts out put the remaining hood bolts in with the hand trick move to hood till it matches the marks on hinge for the rear bolt tighten it go to the other side same thing and then crank them all down. the most important thine is when you first lay it down do so slowly. seen a lot of headers and fenders scared up because some one got cocky and slammed the hood. about a hr on and a hr back on. one a few spookie times

Great advice. Not sure I'm attempting this but sharing some thoughts. It was recommended I take to a body shop and let them remove and re-install. Looking at options.

Great advice. Not sure I'm attempting this but sharing some thoughts. It was recommended I take to a body shop and let them remove and re-install. Looking at options.

Good idea Richard. You keep doing what you do best, and let them do what they do best. One slip and those hood springs can become very expensive.

If you end up doing it yourself, make sure you mark the position of the hinges on both the hood and the inner fender with something. It will save you a lot of time getting it lined up again when you put it back on.

Sounds like the best option in my opinion!!!! You do it and screw something up, it's on you the only person you can be mad at is you. They do it and screw something up, it's on them and you get to make a lot of noise about it!!!!!

If your not comfortable doing things and don't have a friend that is. Best not. It's at least a two person job but best with 3. Now tell me why you want to remove the hood? In spite of advice given if you have no ida how to adjust the hood its best to just pay the man. wither your sending yours in for repair or swapping hinges you will have to adjusted it when you put it back on. Things will be different. Bring it out for a visit I'll help you do it.

Back