will it work with out a/c

I have been reading about the advice from Paul and John and I wish I live close to you two. I have got heat but it never seem to work right, I do not have the a/c parts installed in the car missing the compresser and the hoses, can I expect the heat part of the climate control to work normal with out the a/c, I for now don't plan to reinstall the a/c in the car we don't really need it here in the northwest The knowledge you two have of the system is great:respect:

The heater / air conditioner control will not know the difference between a non working installed A/C system and one where the compressor has been removed. It just will not function if it is calling for A/C and the compressor isn't responding. To make matters simple, I would install a manual hot water valve in the heater line, and just use the blower switch from the original set up to control the fan. If you want to have all heater functions such as the defroster working, then you will need to have all the vacuum lines properly hooked up. Paul

IMHO, "automatic climate control" was one of the worst ideas ever to come down the automotive pike. I would much prefer to set the heat and AC as I want them. These complex contraptions rank right up there with hidden windshield wipers and rim-blow horns in the Auto Hall Of Shame. Shoulda kept my '47 Packard. Siiiggghhh............................

that's the big issue with these is the use of the AC to mix with the heater in the air flow to get the temp. as Paul stated go down to parts store and get a cable heater control valve. replace the vacuum one with it. it's only shut off when you go to max ac. the caddy system runs hot water threw the heater core all the time. I had a 71 superior with out AC and it's set up was the same as any big gm car with out air. the controls were in the same place and looked just like the ones on my 72 olds. so keep you eye out but till then. manual control the water with a cable and let the vacuum shift the defrost. the fan speed and air posision is the only other things you lose control off with the auto functions. but setting it to off shuts that off maybe. some will go to low and vent mode when the controls are set to off. think the 73 was that way. but if you tep controles work and you can put up with the fan doing strange things by it's self. then just setting the wheel to 65 will close off the heater and at 85 will open it up. the mode will shift from vents to floor and back as you move the wheel and the fan will go faster then slower as it gets up to the set tep. you leave it at say 70 you never know what it will do. just depends on the tempiture of the interier at the time.

Back