1974 Superior Trim/Molding Clips

Hello,

My 74 goes to the shop in a few days to get the quarter panel put in. Afterwards I plan to paint the whole car and I am thinking that I want to remove the narrow trim from the sides of the car for the repaint rather than trying to tape them up. I am afraid of breaking the old molding clips and would like to have some new ones on hand just in case. I have been searching the internet and I am finding several clips that are similar to the white nylon ones with the pin in the center but they say they are for Volkswagen, Volvos, and BMWs and the like and none of the descriptions have the dimensions.
My question is where can I get the proper fasteners? Does anyone have a part number for them?

Thanks in Advance,
James

Hi James...can you post some pictures of what you're dealing with? That may help in solving your issue.

At times the different builders used different clips for the same purpose.

Thanks

Restoration Specialties

Google Restoration Specialties (might be resotrationspecialties.com) I'm pretty sure that's where I got every clip I ever needed. Their catalogue is awesome...every and any rubber piece, metal clip...whatever....
Good luck and keep us posted
KEV

Hi James...can you post some pictures of what you're dealing with? That may help in solving your issue.

At times the different builders used different clips for the same purpose.

Thanks

clips.jpg

Here is a picture I found in a different post. The ones in the bag are like what I have. I have been unable to get one off the parts car without breaking it. There are some suppliers listed in the other post but I can't make out the whole part number from the photo.

Thanks,
James

If you can get to a small older local parts store, check there first. I found some clips at Car Quest in town. They had bins full of different clips. I had to buy some clips from Restoration Specialties, but they were not cheap, but I couldn't find them anywhere else. They were Chrysler clips. Also if you have a Fastenal check there.

To get the old ones off, push the pin through to the other side of the panel. Then you can remove the clip. I don't know of any replacement clips that use the hole for attaching. You will need to buy new clips to get the replacement pin, but at least you will have the clips. You can not pry them off the body without removing the pin.

you can use a 3/32 dowel to replace the pin. it's a little slow shove it in and saw it off. put it held them on the old 71.

you can use a 3/32 dowel to replace the pin. it's a little slow shove it in and saw it off. put it held them on the old 71.

I think I am going to try to order some to have them, but this will give me a back-up plan if I can't get them. I appreciated the part number as well. Looks like they are $1.25 each now so I don't want to order too many that I don't need.

Thanks,
James

Back