REgulations in BC Canada

Hey all,

A question in regards to my 1963 Consort Bonneville Ambo..

My question is in regards of having Emerg. lights and siren in BC. When i have phoned Canadian tire they told me no problem and they can remain on the vehicle. Transport BC told me removal of all red flashing lights n siren necessary. I do not want to remove them. Do i just cover them black? What about the siren? I would like them to be operational for Parades etc, if possible. Canadian tire said they will pass it for me? I am just a little confused by all this, as I am new to this.

Thanks Guys!
David:):):thumbsup:

Most provinces allow you to keep them on so long as you do not use them,no getting through traffic pass here,yet for display and parades they are usually okay,if your transport ministry is like ours in Ontario you ask 10 people and get 10 different answers.

there a a few states were it is not legal to have them on. in that case a cover over the lights, cut out switch on the siren, so that you can not operate it from in the car will usually get you by. tunnel light are a little problem but lollipop lights can be covered with a old sock.

contact Bill Leverett thru this site. He is in BC and has 2 ambulances AND is a BC Ambulance paramedic. He can best answer this

slight correction

The gentleman your calling John is more affectionally known as Ed.and he is one of the go to guys on this site for any questions you have.

BC is probably more permissive than Quebec, I speak for myself, I had my Cadillac with full-vues and beacon for 2 years with no problem, then the first day I used the Superior Pontiac a nutty sargent pulled me (with a police student with him) telling me I was not allowed to have lights on a car which is not an emergency vehicle.

While not arguing with him I just told him that it was a vintage emergency vehicle, used for parade and shows, I noticed he was more interested by the car than what I told him. Technically you cannot run a car with emergency lights here but it's all on the police officer sense of tolerance. Their chief once told me "Until we can not mistake it with a modenr it's ok". This is why it's harder to run a vintage police car, since a car with lights on top always look like a car with lights on top, 60's or 2010's. I had to cover my lightbar on my 1978 NYPD car.

My point of view is, try it with lights uncovered and stay on the "it's a vintage car for parades and sick children funds" side. Of ask to other old ambulance owners of BC?

Thank You Martin,
I think Cops around here are pretty sticky to stuff like this, but come on... It is a Vintage Vehicle... :)
I know in Germany you have to cover Blue lights Black.. but as for BC does any one else have experience?

there a a few states were it is not legal to have them on. in that case a cover over the lights, cut out switch on the siren, so that you can not operate it from in the car will usually get you by. tunnel light are a little problem but lollipop lights can be covered with a old sock.

what do you mean by tunnel light?

tunnel lights are the lights usually on the top corners molded or attached to the car,there are members from BC who should soon be on site...but don't worry Mike Boyer had a police officer stop his Horton ambulance and told him he could not have the lights on the car Mike told him to go back to school and check his facts (rookie) a veteran cop showed up and told Mike don't listen to him he is new and as long as they are not activated for anything other than parades or shows they are fine.not sure do you have local police or the RCMP.

Last edited:
No don't bother till car is ready,just keep an eye if they have any events where showing up with an antique ambulance will earn you brownie points..

Thanks Wayne, youve been more than helpful and i appreciate it!
The Nrsing home I currently work with has been around since the 60s and I am wanting to use it when they enter the local Parade as well. :) Since the Unit is a 1963 :p

Thanks Tim and Martin,
I just bought a year membership yesterday and ordered a few things through the store.. It will not let me post anything.
David

In Ontario I haven't had a problem with the lights or siren on my 78 Horton if the fire dept can have them on their "out of service old trucks so can I. I was told by the OPP just don't turn them on while driving on the roads.

In fact everytime I pass one of our county Ambulances they always flash their lights at me and I return the favor !!

( but I must admit I have turned them on at night driving down a lonely country road lol )

Back