Engine info needed.

Does anyone know which engine my recently acquired 37 caddy lasalle has in it? I need a few things and don't know what to go with on size. I think I read commercial chassis had different engine but about all I know? :thankyou2:

The 1937 LaSalles were fitted with a ninety degree, L-head V-8 engine that displaced 322 cubic inches and produced 125-horsepower at 3400 R.P.M.
It had cast iron blocks (blocks cast enbloc with crankcase), 3 main bearings, hydraulic valve lifters and was equipped with either a Stromberg AA-25 or a Carter WDO-374S carb. This was the same engine that was used in the 1937 Cadillac Series 60. By-the-way, the 1937 LaSalle Series 37-50 commercial chassis had a wheelbase of 160-3/8 inches.

I have all the electrical specifications and wiring diagram. Haven't worked on one since before the war... Paul

Attachments

• MVC-087F.JPG
    MVC-087F.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 568
Here is some additional detailed information on the car from1937 LaSalle literature:

Engine - Cadillac precision built; 8 cylinders V-type; "L" head; bore 3-3/8'” stroke 4-1/2”; displacement 322 cu. in.; taxable horse¬power 36.45; brake horsepower 125 at 3400 r.p.m.; engine mounted in rubber at three points.
Pistons - T slot design aluminum alloy for uniform expansion; special anodizing process hardens surface to prevent scuffing and scoring; fitting with two compression rings and two oil rings.
Cooling System - Harrison Radiator, simplified water circulation system; automatically adjusted water pump packing, thermostatic radiator shutters.
Carburetion -Stromberg or Carter dual down-draft with equalized manifolding, fuel pump, air cleaner, intake silencer. Automatic choke., 22 gallon gas tank.
Generator - The. Delco-Remy Peak Load generator maintains charg¬ing rate, even while headlamps, radio and heater are being used. It .eliminates worry concerning battery condition.
Clutch - 1O-1/2' x 6-1/2 single plate dry disc type with 107 square inches of facing area; semi-centrifugal. Gives gradual and smooth application of power.
Transmission - Cadillac-built Syncro-Mesh with three forward speeds and reverse•. Reverse gears as welI as low and second speed gears are helical for extreme quietness. All gears fully carburized for hard use and long life. Pin type synchronizers assure easy shifting.
Front Wheels - lndependent "Knee-Action" front wheels, strong and simple with large, resilient coil springs for smoother riding comfort and effortless driving control. Thoroughly proven by three years use and millions of miles of testing.
Brakes - Bendix Duo-Servo Super-Hydraulic brakes operate in centrifuse brake drum.. Mechanical hand brake operates inde¬pendently of the hydraulic syetem.
Drive Shaft - Hotchkiss drive. Two universal joints mounted on needle roller bearing. permanently packed with lubricant requiring no service attention.
Rear Axle -- Cadillac design and manufacture. Semi-floating type with hypoid gears, insuring quiet, dependable performance. Ratio 3.92 to 1.
Steering Gear - Sturdy worm and double roller type, with straddle mounted roller. The cross-mounted steering link operates a lever supported by the massive front cross member. Attached to it are two steering rods, each of which controls one front wheel. The steering ratio is 23.2 to 1. Can be turned or parked in much smaller space than many cars of the same wheelbase.

The 1937 LaSalles were fitted with a ninety degree, L-head V-8 engine that displaced 322 cubic inches and produced 125-horsepower at 3400 R.P.M.
It had cast iron blocks (blocks cast enbloc with crankcase), 3 main bearings, hydraulic valve lifters and was equipped with either a Stromberg AA-25 or a Carter WDO-374S carb. This was the same engine that was used in the 1937 Cadillac Series 60. By-the-way, the 1937 LaSalle Series 37-50 commercial chassis had a wheelbase of 160-3/8 inches.

Confused here, page 66 of the Professional car book states that commercial chassis in 37 used the 346? How do I tell? I will be needing a piston and sleeve also as head gasket had blown and the crap they poured in radiator sat on top of piston for a few years and ate it up.

Confused here, page 66 of the Professional car book states that commercial chassis in 37 used the 346? How do I tell? I will be needing a piston and sleeve also as head gasket had blown and the crap they poured in radiator sat on top of piston for a few years and ate it up.

Yes, The CADILLAC used the 346-cid while the LaSalle was fitted with the 322-cid V-8 which was used in the entry-level 1936 Cadillac Series 60. The Series 60 was a new Cadillac series for the 1936 model year, smaller, shorter, lighter, less powerful and less expensive. It was priced more than a LaSalle but, less than a Senior Series Cadillac. Senior 1936 and all 1937 Cadillacs were fitted with the old reliable 346 unit. LaSalles built from 1934 through 1936 were equipped with Oldsmobile-built L-head straight eight engines.

danny, i recently bought a 39 lasalle that has an extra engine. not sure if its the same as your 37 or not; havent picked it up yet. you are welcome to any parts that i dont need.

Danny - There you go! The 1939 LaSalle was also fitted with the 125-horsepower, 322 cid V-8. It's the same engine as is in your '37 Miller.

Danny

Don't leave us hanging bro...

What size engine did that car have ?!

All

Over the years there is also the option of the engine being replaced at some point.

Or being replaced now.

Everyone who said Cadillac has the 346 and LaSalle has the 322 is correct. Paul, which book has the wiring illustration you show? I have a commercial reprint of the original manual, and the wiring page looks different. I like yours better, and I'd like to get one. Darlene, when you get your LaSalle, please let me know. I'd like to see it and perhaps buy some parts from you. Thanks! Email: hoczyk@yahoo.com . Tom

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 73
Back