Trim bolts rusted. Where can you get new ones?

On my 73 Cadillac Superior Hearse I was going about removing rust like I posted about in the other thread and I noticed the back of the trim was only being held on by one screw. All the others have rusted off. Where can I pick up these bolts? They have a perfectly flat head so that they can slide in a track on the back of the trim.

I have a pic of one of the broken ones next to the one full undamaged one.

img0212small.jpg

westco auto

I got mine at westco auto paint store they had a wall of clips of all sizes and shapes I don't know if there is any around your neck of the woods but you should try auto paint stores they had the clips for all my trim

Mynapa and hardware store sells them. They have them in brass, zinc plated and stainless steel. If you cannot find them in your area locally try the autobody shop. They might have a box just sitting around.

trim bolts

You may consider thinking outside the box as the saying goes. I just remodeled a bathroom. These look like the bolts that hold the commode to the ring on the floor. Flat head with a long threaded shank. They can be found at hardware store and the like. The heads could be ground down if needed. The threaded part can be cut to length.
Good luck finding what you need.

Mike

did not know NAPA had any of them. superior stuff holding the aluminium trim around the top if I remember right. I trimmed down a t bolt to make a set for one. they are rather thin at the slide so a regular bold would be hard to cut that much off. the t bolt is stamped steel were it clips into the molding. so you can cut that fairly easily and you can get them long enough to go threw. I cut some pieces off a 1/8 in copper tube for the feral inside. then they come with a nut so you don't have to get them. but buy a box not the 5 pack. it gets expensive that way. Aveco is a good source of t bolts

I found a box of aluminum sheathes/spacers to replace the rusted ones on the inside and picked up a bag of stainless bolts.

I'll try napa tomorrow and see about those bolts. Does all of the trim use that same bolt? I want to buy enough to replace all of them on the car :p

I found a box of aluminum sheathes/spacers to replace the rusted ones on the inside and picked up a bag of stainless bolts.

I'll try napa tomorrow and see about those bolts. Does all of the trim use that same bolt? I want to buy enough to replace all of them on the car :p

the only trim on the superior using that stud is the soft aluminium between the fiberglass and the steel, were the top meets it and across the end gate. they use a couple hundred different ones on the rest some blind ones and some t bolts on the same piece. they rusted because the sealer dried out and water came in the holes. be sure and use a good seam sealer in that joint after you prime the car. that and the top seam were the quarters meet the glass panel are were they leak in side the most. :pat:

I called 5 different body shops and emailed them the picture and no one has ever seen these.

Oh and my top is all metal. I don't think there is any fiberglass at all. I think I have that leak you are mentioning as well :p Is that where the area behind the passenger seat would fill up with water every time it rains?

you got a superior your got a fiberglass panel between the top and the quarters running down to the rear bumper. as the molding was only used by superior I would not doubt that no one has seen them. no they are not for sale any were I have found. my response was to cut them out of a t bolt body clip. that's what I had to do. they made in house a lot of there fasteners because they could and labor was cheap back then. they sourced anything they could and made what they could not source. you wont find the same molding clips on the different makers even thought they were using the same molding. just one of the joys of rebuilding the pro car of your dreams.

Back