Who built ambulance in "Bad Call" book?

Hi!
I am reading Mike Scardino's book, "Bad Call". He talks about his days working summers for St John's Hospital-Queens from 1967-71. The picture of the ambulance shows what appears to be an overgrown camper top stuck onto a '62-66 Chevy longbed pickup. A flat-top Beacon Ray/competitor and rear lights serve as warning devices. Scardino talks of a roof-mounted siren (model 66 possibly?)

Check the picture out at this link: https://nypost.com/2018/07/18/the-insane-tales-of-a-1960s-nyc-ambulance-attendant/.

Is this a homebrew or did a firm build the ambulance for St John's? It beats anything I ever saw.

it has the appearance of a Chrstipher but all I have seen did a better job on the top. they were also a lot bigger rigs. could be the offered on this side on the 3/4 chassis

Attachments

• 1963 christipher 2 LR.jpg
    1963 christipher 2 LR.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 171
the angle of the shot is deceiving here is the pictures with one of inside the rig. from the interior it's a large truck

Attachments

• 63 christipher.JPG
    63 christipher.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 1963 christipher 2.JPG
    1963 christipher 2.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 148
It is rather large for Sixties rigs. It looks like someone local to NY (I doubt Franklin) built the truck. The interior from the outside, doors open, looks like someone stuck the shell on top of the truck bed. I actually think it's the interior padding. Many small conversion firms came and went, especially in the early Seventies.

The book is not full of exciting stories of saves. It does capture what anyone entering EMS should be aware of. Some of the "possible DOA's" are things we still see today. It still blows my mind that the attendants on the rigs only had OJT. This even with the recommendations from experts about needing to have a first aid card from ARC or Bureau of Mines. Some undertaker-based rigs had people with better training, oddly enough.

Back