Clean up

:drive2::17875:Our car had a small leak in the oil pan when we purchased it. We temporarily sealed it for last season but it began leaking again this spring. Since I had purchased a different pan shortly after getting the car it was time to change it. We had to raise the motor to change the oil pan so it was decided to change the leaky exhaust manifold gaskets as well. After breaking several manifold bolts off we decided to pull the motor out completly to remove them. Since the motor was out I decided to clean up the engine compartment as well. I realize that the color is not factory correct but I am pleased with the outcome.

Attachments

• engine compt b4.jpg
    engine compt b4.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 237
  • driver side b4.jpg
    driver side b4.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 236
  • engine compt aftr.jpg
    engine compt aftr.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 237
  • engine after.jpg
    engine after.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 235
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 237
  • ready for install.jpg
    ready for install.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 242
I can attest first hand that this is a job for sure. I just got done putting my motor back in after a rebuild and a little detailing myself. Looks good and don't let them hound you about the engine color like they did me--until I painted it the right color this time. No matter what color it is, it always looks better than when you started. It sure is nice to open the hood now when someone wants to see, and now you can do the same. Good job.

I checked three different locations for a Cadillac Blue engine paint and this was the closest I could find. It has never been my intent to compete at car shows merely to share the history about this type of vehicle. Due to the number of hands that our car has passed through I am quite sure that there are other non factory correct items that would detract points in a competitive auto show. I was told last year at Hudson that you could get points deducted if you have your windows up or down and I saw a thread on here regarding incorrect hose clamps. When it gets to be that critical to have everything "factory correct" thats not fun to me. I do respect those that choose to compete but it's not for us.

it's true no one will stock the caddy dark blue anymore one ends up having to order it and it looks more like the Bill H or these guys here.
http://www.seymourpaint.com/spruce_engine_enamels.html
http://www.clmcenterprises.com/emg2.htm

but if your like me and do everything in a hurry the dark blue ford is a close match and you can find it down town. we would not be keeping to our them of restoration and preservation is we did not pick on you for what you knew was off.

I checked three different locations for a Cadillac Blue engine paint and this was the closest I could find. It has never been my intent to compete at car shows merely to share the history about this type of vehicle. Due to the number of hands that our car has passed through I am quite sure that there are other non factory correct items that would detract points in a competitive auto show. I was told last year at Hudson that you could get points deducted if you have your windows up or down and I saw a thread on here regarding incorrect hose clamps. When it gets to be that critical to have everything "factory correct" thats not fun to me. I do respect those that choose to compete but it's not for us.

Well said, I feel the same way. I hose the engine off once a year, just to keep the build up off, other than that never do anything to it. My cars are driven daily, so one should expect it to be dirty. I hate going to car shows and people have their hoods up, it ruins the cars looks, and besides, to me if you have seen one engine you have seen them all. I have won 2 awards at PCS meets with pretty dirty engines, if the rest of the car is good the points for bad engine will not matter. I still have no idea how my rusty, dirty 95 Superior chevy won in Hudson.
Your engine does look better though, dont let anyone beat you down for it!!!

Back