Need a passenger side exhaust manifold

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
Here's today's mini-crisis: Need a passenger side exhaust manifold (cast iron) for my 69 MM 48" classic. Rock Auto, where I find most of what I need, only has gaskets. Jegs has a left side only.
Hope someone can give me some good advice. Thanks again!

Brazing

I think the best solution is to braze the crack. This is the recommendation of a welder whom I'm related to. Any other ideas????

Cast iron doesn't weld or braze very well. I know that Peter Graves has a car in his yard with an exhaust manifold, but getting it off might be a major undertaking. I would put it out to a few local yards to see what they can do to help you.

My Hollander shows 68-76 all the same. I have this one on a 73 . Some pits but no cracks. $80 +shipping.
Chk eBay also might be one closer.

Attachments

• 20200710_152231_resized.jpg
    20200710_152231_resized.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I do have several on cars but think Mr. Scully has solved the problem at a good price. Make sure when removing old one the engine is hot (yeah wear good gloves) and use only six point sockets and wrenches you do not want to round bolts off Suggest heating manifold to pipe bolts red hot with torch to keep from snapping off.

Last edited:
Thanks to all as usual!!!!

I keep telling mechanics about PCS when they tell me to give up looking for things. Many thanks to everyone!
Kevin

Then when you get it drop it off at a shop and have them plane it before you put it on. Then fix the heat riser or replace it. Because that was why it cracked.

EDs Points are well taken the replacement may be warped and plaining it will keep it from cracking when installed. The heat risers only purpose is to make a vehicle warm up faster basiclly it heats the carburator to cause the mixture to vaporize better. If you are not worried about a slower warm up and some stumbling when cold then cut the butterfly out and it can't freeze up Lastly when installing do final tightening from the center to either end again to provide a good seat and prevent warping.

I do have several on cars a guy is available to remove here @ $22.00 per hour manifold free if you can't find one.
Here's today's mini-crisis: Need a passenger side exhaust manifold (cast iron) for my 69 MM 48" classic. Rock Auto, where I find most of what I need, only has gaskets. Jegs has a left side only.
Hope someone can give me some good advice. Thanks again!

My exhaust manifolds weren't cracked, but they did leak, so off they came, heads attached. A small job turned into a major disassembly of the engine, since the manifold bolts were breaking off, and you can't drill them out in the car. I went the less expensive route by dropping them at the machine shop, and had them remove all the broken bolts, all but 2! In the end, the cost was about $1200 to do the job, with all-new head bolts, manifold bolts, valve seals, etc.. Everything that you touch on an old car never is as simple as you would expect.

When I had my 67 Pontiac had the same problem. Under the advice of my muffler guy, I sourced a replacement one instead of fixing it. I found one in one of the large used car parts shop in Arizona. Desert Auto I think.

Car-part.com is an online salvage yard locator that anyone can use. You can search by city, state or across the country. Try that.

Back