1938 Buick, probably a combination

My 1938 BUICK

My 1st pro-car (in 1960 at 15 years old before I knew what one was)….. was a 1938 Series 90 Buick 7 Passenger Sedan that had been purchased new by Berry-Bell Mortuary in Fallbrook, CA. as a family car. The rest of their funeral home fleet was 100% Henney-Packards up until circa 1956. In 1952 they donated the Buick to our local volunteer fire department, who's Fire Chief owned a welding shop. They converted it there to a sedan-ambulance by cutting out the RS Door Post and re-attaching it to RR Suicide Door so the whole side of the car would open up for a stretcher. I bought it from the VFD for $200.00. MM

It is a combination.

This is quite obviously a Flxible-Buick. However, Flxible, like many builders of this era, did not offer a "combination car" as a specific or separate model. Combinations were created by purchasing optional ambulance equipment for funeral cars. In case of this particular car, I see no cot-hook (and Flxi had its own cot hooks) or other specific Flxible-fitted ambulance equipment that would indicate that this was originally an ambulance or a combination car for that matter. Ambulance or combination....It's matter of conjecture at this point. Thanks.

Back