Radiator hose conundrum

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
Need to put original looking radiator hoses on my '35 Chevy truck (with the '47 engine). I asked the lady I usually get my parts from (Obsolete Chevy Parts, Nashville, GA) what I needed and sent her pictures of the current flex hoses.
Here's the reply: Is she saying these hoses were metal originally?

This is the first time I ever heard of "Chev's of the 40's"

I had our tech guy Mike working on it. It shouldn't have curved hoses, instead it had a metal curved pipe at the lower hose and straight hoses connecting to it. Chev's of the Forties has the lower hose metal elbow / pipe, # 378248 and they have a picture on their website. Mike said you should be able to have it made locally (pipe bender) and also could get straight hoses locally in the diameter and length you need. He also said you have the wrong clamps, you need the "wire type" which we offer. Upper hose clamp is # ME197 $2.50 each and lower hose clamp is # ME1981 $2.50 each.
I tried to find a picture on the old shop manuals and parts books, but none had that type of detail.
Hope this helps,
Teresa
********any suggestions are appreciated.*****Kevin*****

Attachments

• DSC01015.jpg
    DSC01015.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC01016.jpg
    DSC01016.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 101
378248 is a 1 1/2" OD (outside diameter) steel radiator outlet hose pipe for a 1935 trough 1940 all Chevrolet.

1941 - 1946 Chevrolet all used a 1 1/2" ID (inside diameter) molded curved hose, part number 3692230.

If it were my truck, I would measure the degrees of the angles and lengths needed, and then plot them on paper to look like a picture of the part you need. Take that to your local auto parts dealer, and see what you can match the picture up with a molded hose in inventory. Once you have it plotted with all the correct dimensions and lengths, it should be easy to find something that should work. You will need to find a auto parts store that has a good inventory. The one problem that I do see is the upper hose outlet on the radiator is sloped to sharply downward, and it might be easier to have a straight outlet soldered to the top tank. A good radiator shop should be able to make the modifications if you bring them the truck so they can see what needs to be done.

Also, I would replace the copper fuel line with a steel line. Copper lines have a bad habit of developing stress cracks and spraying fuel onto the hot exhaust manifold, causing the vehicle to catch fire.

Thanks Paul!

Thanks Paul! I'll be attending judges school at the Southeast Winter Meet of AACA in Port St. Lucie, FL. Should have done this ages ago. Thanks again for the quick response!
Kev

Back