it's in there

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
we got the transmission back and things shuffled around enough to bolt everything on the engine and drop it in place. one more it's been a long time since things. but did I tell you how much I hate doing mechanical work. really fought one motor mount but finally got it to fall in place. now if I can only get this drive line figured out. we can get oil into the trany and fire this engine up.

Attachments

• IMG_3256.jpg
    IMG_3256.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_3257.jpg
    IMG_3257.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_3258.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_3259.jpg
    IMG_3259.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 246
I'm starting to understand why everything in the rear end was unbolted. I can get this drive line in place. it 93 inches long. the front hole is to small to pass the bearing threw. the rear yoke in the center is is bolted to the drive line and it holds the carrier bearing on. I can unbolt it with the joint on place and no way to put the joint in laying under the car as it is up inside the tunnel. so tomorrow we will try to drop the rear end enough to go over the top. I was doing good to get it together today. did I tell you just how much I had mechanic-en ?

Attachments

• IMG_3260.jpg
    IMG_3260.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_3261.jpg
    IMG_3261.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3263.jpg
    IMG_3263.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 200
From memory, driveshaft goes from the rear of the car forward. All yokes are welded in place and you put it into the transmission last. It is a lot easier with 2 people working from underneath on a lift. Unfortunately, you don't have that luxury, and have to struggle with it.

Yes the extra length is is the problem. So we will have to move the rear end down enough to go over it and not get wedged on the rear floor well.

As for extending the frame all they did was run a piece of 1/2 in plate around the center. Fairly simple on this one.

As for extending the frame all they did was run a piece of 1/2 in plate around the center. Fairly simple on this one.

So, just a big rectangular box in the center? I guess with half inch steel it would work, but that always seemed like the weak part of that frame design to me and making it longer probably doesn’t help. I know the “X” part is pretty substantial though. Wonder what just that two feet of frame weighs? Probably more than all the rest of it.

will I might have miss calculated we were under there today and it only 1/4 inch stuff about what gm used. but the have doubled it I would guess all but the 30 inches it's stretched.

but now we are having some confusing. and one know for sure if there was a slip joint or double joint on the rear shaft. what I have here is one piece from the transmission to the carrier bearing. the yoke is bolted onto the shaft on the rear side set with splines of course pining the carrier bearing to the shaft. the a single piece to the rear end. it will allow for some up and down movement but not much. I can do all the guessing and I would thinking but anyone know for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_3264.jpg
    IMG_3264.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3265.jpg
    IMG_3265.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3270.jpg
    IMG_3270.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 138
Further checking and the help of a site called Dougs drive line. What i have is the way it was. The movement in the shaft is at the transmission and the rubber for the carrier bearing. Just one more of those designs that look good on paper.

Back