For sale: 1975 54XL by Superior

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
Well, it's time to make room for another project which means I must sell one of my finished projects. The car I use the least deserves to be driven more than once a year , so I'm offering the Superior to PCS members first in hopes that it stays within the group. No expense was spared to bring this vehicle back to the way it left the factory. here's the EBay ad I have in case I must list it there:

FOR SALE: 1975 Superior model number 54XL ambulance on a Cadillac chassis. The 54XL model ambulance was manufactured for only two years. It featured the rear driver’s side windows covered over with sheet metal and a floor to ceiling medical cabinet along the interior wall. This ambulance also featured a walk-through partition. 30 of this model of ambulance was made by Superior and only 4 are known to still survive. This very rare example of an emergency transport vehicle is in near “museum” quality. Remember, each ambulance in this era was hand made by skilled craftsmen.

BODY: This amazing California car has never been driven in the snow or on salty roads. There is no rust anywhere. No rust on the lower part of the car, the quarter panels, fenders, floorboards, rockers or frame. The body is perfectly straight and has no sign of body fill repairs. The undercarriage is very clean and free of rust.

PAINT: The paint is about 10 years old and still shines like new. There are one or two tiny chips but no cracking, peeling or fading. The car has been kept in a climate-controlled garage for many years.

CHROME: All chrome and stainless steel is in very good condition. No rust anywhere. The side moldings are perfectly straight. The bumpers are straight and lenses are clear and intact.

GLASS: All glass is 100% perfect. The windshield is brand new.

INTERIOR: The complete interior was redone last year. New swivel seats, carpeting, headliner, flooring, cabinets and attendant chairs and bench are new. All interior wiring was replaced by a certified automotive electrician. All interior lights work. The rear spotlights turn on when the rear door is opened.

ELECTRICAL: All lights, sirens, dash gages (including the clock) are in working order. The automatic climate controlled AC keeps the interior cool. The AM/FM radio works. Two new heavy-duty batteries are less than a year old. The B&M Super Chief siren is new and is LOUD! There are also dual electrical sirens with a PA system. All emergency light work and the headlights flash when the roof beacons are activated.

DRIVETRAIN: The 500-cubic inch V8 engine and the Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission were completely rebuilt 200 miles ago. There are absolutely zero leaks coming from the engine or transmission. The engine compartment is super clean. The exhaust system is new.

TIRES: The heavy-load whitewall tires have less than 100 miles on them and are less than a year old.

Here’s a short list of recent work done to this fabulous car:
• Re-built engine and transmission
• New paint
• Complete new interior
• New wiring
• Re-laminate cabinets in Southern Oak #7153-58
• New controller arm
• New bushings
• New tie rods
• New idler arms
• New ball joints
• New fuel tank
• New shocks
• New sway bushings and radius bushings
• Carburetor re-build
• New muffler system
• Aligned all doors
• New heavy duty starter
• New duel heavy duty batteries
• New hood hinges

Still needed to be done: I have the new door weather-stripping but the inside door frames should be re-painted. As you can see in the photos, the door frames are painted solid orange and I wanted to paint then to correspond to the outside color (white where there is white). Of course, you can leave them solid orange and put the new weather-stripping on right away.

It also can use a heat shield between the muffler and the floor. The interior floor gets warm right where the muffler below is.

PRICE: Over $32,000 has been invested into this beautiful and very rare historical emergency vehicle. I am asking $22,000.00

Here is a link to some photos: http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13890&highlight=54xl

Attachments

• 75.jpg
    75.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 514
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 497
  • 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 504
  • 72.jpg
    72.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 494
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 504
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
Is this the ex-Physician's car?

Did you (or a previous owner) add the backboard compartment on the roof?

This is why I was curious about the backboard compartment.

So what's your point? Like I said (and you neglected to quote me), these cars were individually custom built by skilled craftsmen. As I understand, if the customer wanted an option added to the vehicle, Superior obliged. I don't have the build sheet for this particular vehicle. Do you? I took what was there and restored it. If it was added on after the original owner took ownership, so be it.

So what's your point? Like I said (and you neglected to quote me), these cars were individually custom built by skilled craftsmen. As I understand, if the customer wanted an option added to the vehicle, Superior obliged. I don't have the build sheet for this particular vehicle. Do you? I took what was there and restored it. If it was added on after the original owner took ownership, so be it.

One way to find out....if it matters..I can ask Kent (Original owner of unit and Physicians Ambulance)......he works right down the street from me.:thumbsup:

Jim, the ambulance looks fantastic and you are selling it for a great price too! Best of luck to you and whoever the lucky new owner is.

Backboards

Not the best photo, but this is a 54XL from the Beverly Hills Fire Department. When I got it, there was still a wooden backboard in the box, labeled BHFD.

Attachments

• Beverly Hills 062.jpg
    Beverly Hills 062.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 325
One way to find out....if it matters..I can ask Kent (Original owner of unit and Physicians Ambulance)......he works right down the street from me.:thumbsup:

He's the PCS member I purchased the car from! I think Jim Ireland quenched Steve Loftin's concerns

Nice!

Wish I has the ability to buy this one and be able to drive it around more than my time allows!! Awesome and a great price! Good luck Jim! I had the great opportunity to own Jim's restored 1967 Cad iliac and his work and attention to detail was great! :applause:

Beautiful rig Jim! Just curious, are the rocker molding moldings on it or not currently? You have posted photos of it with those moldings both on & off.

Beautiful rig Jim! Just curious, are the rocker molding moldings on it or not currently? You have posted photos of it with those moldings both on & off.

Hi Kurt, Thank you for your comment. As for the rocker moldings, I actually have the passenger side on and the driver's side off. I was going to have the new owner decide how he (she) wants the car to look. Good observation!

IMHO they definitely look much better with the rocker moldings on. Most body shops failed to put them back on when the cars were repainted over the years. In many cases(especially with the M-Ms), they probably fell off going down the road!

Jim; Your rig is a bargain the 76 Superior on gov deals just brought $12600.00 you could not spend 22k on it and end with a rig as nice as yours. If I did not have Wellsboro I would wake up Prudential and buy yours in a minute.

Jim my old friend, it looks great. I saw this car a few years ago during restoration, it's come a long way. A road trip to Worcester may be in order!

Back