Superior High-Top Ambulance in Fort Smith, AR - $2950

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
I'm pretty sure it's not a 1978. My best guess is it's a 1976 Superior-Cadillac 54 - but certainly open to education on it. I'm also more than a bit confused by the seller's assertion that it was originally a hearse converted for some movie car desire. I suppose it'd be quite interesting if indeed another Superior high-top's roof was grafted onto a low-top hearse or combination.

https://fortsmith.craigslist.org/cto/6034458721.html

Here's a great project for any GhostBuster fans out there. This 1978 Cadillac was originally a hearse, but was started to be converted to a ghostbuster clone with an ambulance roof installed on it. Being a hearse, it wasn't run hard and is very straight and solid.

The car comes with the original 425 Caddy V8, TH 400 trans, as well as the miscellaneous parts that came off of it. The engine has been machined and is ready to be re-assembled with new rings, bearings, etc. The body work has been done and the car is almost ready to sand and shoot.

There are enough hard-to-find trim parts and small parts to build two cars. I'm just wanting to recoup my costs and move the car. I'll accept offers, but please don't insult me with nonsense. I don't need help selling and if it's listed here it's still for sale. I have a clean title in hand. I can transport for fuel costs, depending upon your delivery location.

Call if you have any questions and thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 299
  • Photo3.jpg
    Photo3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 294
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 375
I would guess it's possible to "graft" a 54" roof, onto a hearse of the same year. God only knows why anybody would want to go to that much work. Then you would have the issues of the "framing" not meeting proper safety specs and many other considerations.

One thing I'm fairly certain of is that it would be almost impossible to graft a 1976 and back 54" roof to a 1977 or 78 Superior hearse or combination. There was a substantial difference in the sizes of the cars.

I'm calling BS on this one. And how does he think a 54" car comes out looking like a Ghostbusters car anyhow.

Run, don't walk away from this one!!!!!

There is no doubt in my mind, that this isn't a 1978 car, because starting in 1977, Cadillac downsized the physical size of the cars. It would be next to impossible to graft a roof from an earlier model onto the later model Cadillac because of this downsizing. As for the engine being a 425 cubic inch engine, that could be true, but it would have had to have come out of a 1977 or newer car. The engine block remained the same for many years, however, the bore and stroke of the engines changed in 1977, as well as the horsepower rating. You could purchase a restored 1971 - 1976 ambulance for less money than this project is going to cost to complete. I can clearly see it costing $40,000 at least to finish this car, and in the end, you will still have a mongrel if the roof was in fact grafted to a hearse. The sum of all the parts might be worth the asking price, however, there are a lot of costs involved in selling these parts, that will take time and money spent before you will ever see your first dime of profit.

Nothing "grafted" here! Simply a '75 Superior Cadillac 54" ambulance. I am basing it being a '75 on the '75 Cadillac lower grill section(in the bumper). It is definitely either a '75 or a '76.

Unfortunately, in its present state, it is about a $1000 rig. With the motor and the rest of the car completely tore down, God only knows what's there and what's not. It's sad, but many/most rigs sold in this condition never come back together. If this rig served in Texas, it may have a very solid body.

Clear title in hand? Maybe he should have look at it. Engine is apart so some assembly there and I would have to fit the trim to be sure it was all there. Then of course there is the interior to mess with. But were with the glass top on a superior swapping that out onto a hearse Which is the same body would not be impossible. I just can't see why anyone would need to. You would need to swap the top of the center door and the rear door also. It would be a lot easier to take panels off the hearse to rebuild the ambulance body.

Your buying a basket case and one needs to price it accordingly.

The seller has changed the Craigslist listing to reflect that it is a 1974, not a 1978.

That is not correct either. It has a 1975/1976 front clip on it with a 1975 grill. If it has its original engine, it is a 500 c.i.

what I find confusing is the all primed lower half. who takes on apart primes everything the puts it back together with out painting anything? normally one would pain the radiator support and inner fenders first then jam the fenders hood and other panels before reassembling. this car looks to have been sand blasted together then primed. and the stayed off the top. that would leave what ever rust that has formed in between panels to continue to trouble you. also it much harder to paint the panels the way they belong with the car together like that. but once again he is not that far off the price. just one of those you need to see first had what your getting into things. plus the car is a lot harder to move in pieces then together.

it's not a 74 body

Back