1927 Studebaker hearse funeral coach

1927 Studebaker hearst funeral coach 1927 Studebaker funeral coach for sale or trade, interested in classic cars and trucks maybe a T bucket; this car is 90 years old and still runs needs complete restoration , very very rare one of only three known to have survived been stored in a barn for over thirty years http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-Studeb...ash=item33ca06b5a6:g:ICQAAOSwSlBYvyuw&vxp=mtr

1927 Studebaker funeral coach for sale or 25,000.00 in trade, interested in classic cars and trucks maybe a T bucket; this car is 90 years old and still runs needs complete restoration , very very rare one of only three known to have survived been stored in a barn for over thirty years

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 278
When I first heard about it, I was excited, because it's only an hour north of me. Called and talked to owner, and price seemed reasonable too, if in the condition I was originally given, "very good, solid, running, complete, original, etc." Then he sent me a bunch of pictures. Needless to say, I didn't waste two hours of driving time. Glad to see he's come to terms with car values though. Asking $35K last two years was a bit ambitious, especially for a "hearst"... :rolleyes:

What we have here, gentlemen, is a 1927 Superior-bodied Studebaker Arlington funeral coach. These were based on the Studebaker EU Series Standard Six (Dictator) commercial chassis with a 147-inch wheelbase. This model had an advertised retail price of $2,985 and was probably the most popular of the Superior-Studebaker funeral car offerings that year. Remember, although Lima's Superior Body Company was responsible for the coachwork, these cars were considered Studebaker products and were sold exclusively through Studebaker's national dealer network. Looks to be an amazing survivor. I hope that someone saves and restores it.

What we have here, gentlemen, is a 1927 Superior-bodied Studebaker Arlington funeral coach.

You can probably answer something that's always bugged me about the coach. Why the jump seat? Seems to be the only interior component suggesting combination, but could be added by previous owner. Looks authentic to possibly be original though (sorry, I know you all can't see it in the auction listing, and I can't add attachments).

You can probably answer something that's always bugged me about the coach. Why the jump seat? Seems to be the only interior component suggesting combination, but could be added by previous owner. Looks authentic to possibly be original though (sorry, I know you all can't see it in the auction listing, and I can't add attachments).

Adam - In those days (the Twenties) there weren't really combination cars as we know them today - this didn't really come about until the introduction of the Tu/Level Duplex by Miller in 1940. Prior to that "combination cars" were created through the customers purchase of optional ambulance equipment - that often included one or two loose attendant seats or chairs among other things. Although many companies marketed "combination cars" as far back as 1915, these were usually hearses with extra removable equipment and possibly even a removable casket roller floor.I don't know if this answers your question, Adam, but, I've tried.

That would be an uncomfortable ride for an attendant with no foot well! I think that I would just eliminate the attendant seat and restore it as a straight hearse, as it was when built. Very cool coach and worth the money!

Back