64 pinner service car

Not looking good for going to Purkey's today Ed. It poured down rain all night last night and it is supposed to rain off and on all day today. I don't need anything myself, so I am not willing to wander the yard in the rain and mud.

Don't panic on getting this stuff Ed. Those moldings aren't THAT hard to find and you are a long way from needing moldings anyway.

No panick here. Just scouting. The tailgate piece looks to be the hard one. Just not a lot of them left in this country most of the big cars got crushed.we hadn't checked south yet but have the locale stuff checked out and feelers put out. It will turn up.

Post a picture of the part of the door that is missing, and I might be able to help with some of the people that I know.

If i had the part to take a picture of i would not be looking for one. I heard the story about 61-64 being the same. I can can't confirm that. Your 62 has a one piece door right? Not the tailgate? But it is the piece on the top, inside between the trim pad and glass. This one has replaced the trim pad with a stainless steel panel the first set of Eureka rollers starts in it. Then they moved the filler panel that fills the gap between the rear floor and the back seat up. It now fills the gap between the gate and there floor. There floor went from the rear opening to the back seat. Flat no gaps. But with out that upper panel were the cat whiskers go, it looks pretty rough.

Purkey's saved all of their old wagons. They will have it. I will be back down there this Fall.

If i had the part to take a picture of i would not be looking for one. I heard the story about 61-64 being the same. I can can't confirm that. Your 62 has a one piece door right? Not the tailgate? But it is the piece on the top, inside between the trim pad and glass. This one has replaced the trim pad with a stainless steel panel the first set of Eureka rollers starts in it. Then they moved the filler panel that fills the gap between the rear floor and the back seat up. It now fills the gap between the gate and there floor. There floor went from the rear opening to the back seat. Flat no gaps. But with out that upper panel were the cat whiskers go, it looks pretty rough.

OK... Now I have an idea of what you are looking for. This part doesn't have an individual part number, because it is part of the inside door panel. It is the only part that you need to save for when you have replacement inside upholstered door panels made. It should be the same from 1961 - 1964, across all station wagon model, however, I can't say for certain, since many of the station wagon parts that you would assume would be the same were changed every year, and sometimes mid year for a reason that isn't understood, however, must have had a good reason inside of GM corporate office. It might have been for ease of assembly, or a vendor change. Even looking it up in the parts book isn't going to help, since each year the part changed, with the change of the interior door panels.
As an example, the gas tank is the same for the 1961 - 1964 station wagons, but the shield that goes in front of the gas tank, and behind the rear wheel, changed every year, until 1964, when the parts book indicates that it fits retroactively back to 1961 (with modifications), but they don't indicate what those modification are. Most likely, it is attachment bolt locations, but not having one of each year, I have no idea.
Moving onto the side panel moldings, they are not the same from year to year, and each year is specific, and each model. The Biscayne moldings are not the same as the BelAir, nor the BelAir is not the same as the Impala.

Here are pictures of what you are looking for off a 62 Belair wagon (don't ask why its Kelly Green, I admit I've made some questionable decisions in my early life).

Not sure if it is the same for all other years. The exterior of the tailgate changed every year from 58 to 64, at least a little bit. Interior is probably the same for 61-62, not sure about the rest.

The biggest problem you are going to have with this car is, despite how popular vintage wagons are today, no one is interested in going to the trouble of reproducing any wagon-specific parts, and back in the 70's no one saw a need to keep those NOS parts around any longer, so they have disappeared. Add that to the fact that you are dealing with a one-of-one version of a wagon and you are going to have an uphill battle sourcing parts like these. Those wagons that sat in junkyards for decades are now being snatched up like hotcakes by the hot rod crowd because they're cool, and people that have a reasonably complete car (like me) are reluctant to give up wagon specific parts that aren't being reproduced. Even the quarter panels are different, and I've seen half a dozen wagons already with sedan quarters on them that look ridiculous. May God have mercy on your soul if you happen to need all the metal parts that comprise a wagon interior from the rear of the front seat back to the tailgate.

Anyway, pictures help I guess. None of it would be easy to reproduce correctly though.

Attachments

• t1.JPG
    t1.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 159
  • t2.JPG
    t2.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 162
  • t3.JPG
    t3.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 159
  • t4.JPG
    t4.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 163
  • t5.JPG
    t5.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 158
  • t6.JPG
    t6.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 154
  • t7.JPG
    t7.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 159
yes the side molding have to be 64 Biscayne. the quarter moldings come in 3 sizes. 4 door sedan, 4 door wagon and 2 door sedan. the two door being the long one. front doors are the same as are the fenders. been making inquiries on e-bay. so when I checked last night they is now two listed. both vary high one rough for 140 + 45 shipping the other free shipping for only 204. but I can say I can now put a picture up. as I said there is no panic here on these just gathering info and putting out need stuff. it is strange the impala was the top dog i have found enough trim to do 6-8 of them complete. all stuff in cars as the other body was crushed. but no one took off the Biscayne trim. so now people think it is gold. my fall back is the 1/2 inch half round peal and stick. if we can't locate any at a reasonable price. that way it will be easy to get off and cover all the holes till I can gather enough to replace it

Attachments

• 1964 wagon.jpg
    1964 wagon.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 268
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 262
Wagon

Found this one local as a back up for parts on the white 64. To good as a parts car but if need be it will be . Bought the white one from the original owner many moons ago. Chevy parts you have a chance , 64 Dodge 880 = good luck. Bonus on the 64 it is a a/c car.:cheers:

Attachments

• DSC05688.jpg
    DSC05688.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC02213.jpg
    DSC02213.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
I have discovered that your are Correct Todd. but with the good pictures I'll whittle on out of a 2x4 before I give 200 bucks for one and then have to fix it.
all the rear interior stuff I need is here. that is one good thing. all Pinner used is the fare back panels. they maid all the rest and the ply wood floor went from the end gate to the back seat. so all of those floor panels for this one were tossed. this one started life as a 4 door cheap wagon. the rear doors were tossed. it was cut in two right behind the front door and 30 inches added to the roof and frame glass was remove from the quarters and the blank filled in from the rear to the front door. then the side skins were hand formed from the rear door to the center pillar. I would guess that they just use a replacement rocker and spliced it in as it is a different piece then the side skin anyway. so replacement panels are easy they sell it by the 4x8 sheet. we will see if we need any when we get the chance to clean out the 1000 lbs of mud some one has put in the car. but as you can get to everything form the inside baring rust I don't see replacing any. but as they say time is money and time for me repairing is money saved. we arn't running a production shop. took some parts back out to put in the car yesterday here is a shot of two. the seat filler panel was mover to the end gate and the second set of rollers put in there. the holes line up perfect so that question is answered.

Attachments

• IMG_2152.jpg
    IMG_2152.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 180
If you want to see if a 62 part will fit to give you some extra options we can probably work something out. I don’t want to part with it, but you’re welcome to “borrow” it for test fitting. I won’t be using it any time soon, but hope to someday.

Thanks for the offer. I got it from a number of sources that 61-64 fit. So lets not take the chance on the mail. But if you stumble onto one let me know.

got together with my buddy Dan at A&A. he took me out into the back side of the yard. been a wet year the road is gone and the mud is still a foot deep. the ATV was fighting to get out there. but we found a couple wagons out there with the requested piece on. I hoped out and got it out of the one he pointed to it was topical power coated with water under it as the gate has been open for probable 10 years heavy surface rust but still solid. it's held on by 4 screws then we went back. we BS for another half hr and i as what he wanted for it he said 200 bucks. I shook my head. he asked me what i wanted to pay i said 20 bucks. he said we are a ways apart. i said how much and he responded i told you 200. I said glad I could get it off for you. thanks for the tour. bet it's still were i put the next time i go in. but when I got home wit the 4 screws in my pocket I checked out my gate. I don't think that Pinner used the thin tin cap. but made one of there own. that end gate only had the 4 holes in it. this one has 4 big ones evenly spaced and a number of like number 6 holes that may have been were a keeper was. pulse the 4 holes. we put the stainless on with a few screws in key places to keep it safe. but looking at the top they must have had a heaver piece to keep it from getting smashed with a oops

Attachments

• IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 123
Ed,
I would use quotation marks around "buddy" when referring to Mr. Dan. I have more colorful names for your "buddy" Dan! I wasted a lot of time with his games when we were out in Rapid. He has cool stuff that he likes to show off, but I would not darken his doorstep again, personally. The dude's a prick!

Yes, you could easily get a complete tailgate for $200! It's just a '64 Shivvy, for God's sake!

I am going to try to hit a great yard in Amarillo next week, weather permitting. I will see what I can find for you down there.

Don't forget my fuel tank shield, and keep an eye out for those pesky raccoons.

This is the yard in Amarillo that I will hit next week. Got a bunch of stuff off of this '67 the past couple of years! It still has its cabinet and original bucket seats.

Attachments

• '67 Superior 1.jpg
    '67 Superior 1.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 109
  • '67 Superior 2.jpg
    '67 Superior 2.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 98
Back