Craiglist to end free car listings

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/12/craiglist-ends-free-car-listings/

Craigslist, the free classified-ad website that effectively decimated local newspapers by wiping out their classified-ad sales, has slowly begun charging users to post listings is some categories. The latest Craigslist category to drop the freebie model is "Cars and Trucks" for sale by owner. As reported by Reddit, the website will begin charging $5 as of April 15.

Craigslist already had been charging $5 for vehicles listed by dealers, which of course meant that many dealers were masquerading as private owners, listing their cars in the "By Owner" section in order to avoid the fee. This change might cut down on that deception. It also might reduce the frequency of people clogging the site with multiple postings of the same car.

Unfortunately, it's not likely to stem the tide of scam buyers that plagues Craigslist. That problem has led to the rise of alternatives, most notably Facebook Marketplace, as well as peer-to-peer sales sites such as Letgo and OfferUp. Meanwhile, eBay currently does not charge private individuals a fee to list a car for sale, but if the vehicle sells eBay does collect a fee of $60 or $125, depending on the selling price. And at the collector-car website Bring a Trailer, the fee to list a vehicle for sale is $99.

Facebook Marketplace had pretty much already taken over Craig's List's business anyway. Far more listings on Facebook.

Yes, I know there are lots of scams on craigslist and you have to use caution. But, I have had some good luck with craigslist, I have sold cars and other items, bought cars and other items and I even hired an in-home care taker for my elderly father and she seems quite wonderful. I have to say that I give craigslist a thumbs up! But, remember the old saying, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

I have not gotten anything of facebook market that once it got here i would have bought if i had got to handle it first . We will See on this last thing i got

I just purchased my '08 Ford CV off of Facebook Marketplace. Seller had not listed the car on Craig's List. I have not purchased anything off of Facebook that I have not personally gone and picked up.

Back