1920s-1940s Wooden Splint Kit

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
I happened upon this fascinating half-ring Thomas Splint kit from Steve Lichtman several years ago. I cleaned it up, repaired one of the damaged clasps, and stabilized some of the damaged wood.

I am not sure from exactly when this kit dates from. I suspect 1920s-1940s due to the leather-wrapped half-rings. Full-ring splints were still used into the 1940s-1950s, but uncommon. It contains a half-ring Thomas splint for femur, and a Murray-Jones splint for the humerus. The Murray-Jones could potentially be used for pediatrics as well. The leather object you see is the ankle hitch for the Thomas splint. The dowels are to act as windlass for traction. The wood board is of course, just a board splint. Unclear if it's original, but came with it - so I left it.

This gorgeous item now graces my mantleplace in the house.

Attachments

• 2018-05-19 11.17.57.jpg
    2018-05-19 11.17.57.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 2018-05-19 11.18.31.jpg
    2018-05-19 11.18.31.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 70
"This gorgeous item now graces my mantleplace in the house."

Single man, I take it?? Lol

Most women would not see the beauty in it.

The butterflyretainers are storm window sash retainers that began coming to market in the 1920s when Stanley stamped and plated millions in Meridian Conn.

The splints I well remember learning to apply to a victim atop the pool table.

We had a actor/victim named Bobby Boothell who got 10 bucks for 2 hours of splinting and bandaging practice and guaranteed he would hunt down and murder anyone who left him trussed up.

Seems like that box should also contain some pressure dressing straps, cotton- white with pad to use on compound fractures.

Back