Regrets

Long before I developed any interest in pro cars, even long before we were in the resto biz I was dating a girl whose grandpa was the longest practicing mortician in PA at the time of his demise. Dad was just beginning to buy antique car so it seemed natural that we would buy the funeral home's 1952 Cadillac Superior. 7000 miles, still had the original tires, never sat outside over night in its life and was literally "as new". We kept it a year or so. Dad wanted room for more antiques so we sold it to a fellow who intended to use it to haul parts to Carlisle. Unfortunately, within 6 months of our selling it the new owner was side swiped by a truck and the hearse was scrapped. As we PA Dutch say "We get too soon old and too late smart".

Falls into the use it or lose it. The cars are to me only fun if we can jump in one only time and drive it down town for coffee. One trip to the Dr office that kind of thing. Jay Leno type collection would drive me nuts.

Oh yeah, I remember those deals and days. In Flint a company called Dennis Distributors used to sell hearses and ambulances in great shape and cheap. A friend of mine managed to buy a 58 hearse in beautiful condition for I think, $1500 possibly less. Remember this was the 70's. His brother then bought a 60 hearse 3-way for about the same price. Had a ball with those cars.

Back