1958 Pontiac Superior Hearse Kijiji. CALGARY

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...8-pontiac-Hearse-Very-Rare-W0QQAdIdZ539022797

1958 Pontiac Superior Combination Hearse . This is a Very rare Hearse that was running good when last parked but has not run for many years now ( 370 4 Barrel with manual trany ) . It's 99% complete with little exterior rust and would make a very unique Hot Rod or restoration for the commercial vehicle or Pontiac clubs etc. You would be the only one at the car show !!! Car needs full restoration . Only $3500.00 Car located in Kelowna BC but delivery is available .
MORE PICTURE @ www.edsprojectcars.com

or call 403-560-0227

Attachments

• pont1.jpg
    pont1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 832
  • pont2.jpg
    pont2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 396
  • pont5.jpg
    pont5.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 399
  • pont3.jpg
    pont3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 395
  • pont4.jpg
    pont4.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 388
Great find! I've only seen these Criterion models in pictures.

Also, if it's a combination, shouldn't there be jump seats? My Superior book is at home, so I can't go look these up...

Attachments

• 1958 Superior Pontiac Criterion combination.jpg
    1958 Superior Pontiac Criterion combination.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 591
Pontiac hearses were very popular in Canada in this era, with the majority being endloaders (as seen here).

I am sure the funeral home that ordered the car wanted it to be an end loader without the jump seats. All these pro cars are nearly hand-built, so you could get them any way you wanted them........

I am sure the funeral home that ordered the car wanted it to be an end loader without the jump seats. All these pro cars are nearly hand-built, so you could get them any way you wanted them........

The 72 C/B I got was a limousine style endloader ,which I thought was a little odd.

Attachments

• DSC07901.jpg
    DSC07901.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 442
  • DSC07913 - Copy.jpg
    DSC07913 - Copy.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 422
nice roofline!

I always thought the stepped-up roof meant an ambulance, so this is a nice surprise to see some different styling on a pure funeral coach! I've only seen 1 other pure funeral coach on a Pontiac chassis...........:Exclamation:

I always thought the stepped-up roof meant an ambulance, so this is a nice surprise to see some different styling on a pure funeral coach!

The original 1958 S/P hearses (landau and limousine), combinations, and lowtop ambulances all had the stepped roof as seen on the car advertised here. Because of objections voiced by potential customers, Superior re-designed it early in the model year without the step, as seen on this combination:

(internet photo)

Attachments

• PP%2058%20HEARSE.jpg
    PP%2058%20HEARSE.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 358
All 1958 S/P hightop ambulances had this roof:

(internet photo)

Attachments

• 1958PontiacSuperChiefAmbulance1.jpg
    1958PontiacSuperChiefAmbulance1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 438
Back