Removing screws with broken-off heads

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
Hi all,

Is there a secret to un-screwing a screw with no head (ie. broken-off head)? I've got 4 in a row I need to remove and replace. The srews are in metal, not wood.

Thanks

Jim

Are they in a location you can spot weld an extension onto and then back them out? If they are broken off flush with the surface, maybe punch them through with a good punch and put in a new slightly larger one (metric) in its place. I have found the stainless steel at my local hardware store only a few cents more than the zinc plated. :893USA-Smilie-thumb

once again it the nursing home thing and it depends. but I have found that I always end up drilling and taping if its a machine thread. if it not and you can get to the back side vice grips and run the remaining screw down not up. heat will help usually. cherry red, let it cool by it's self and only one side is the preferred way to heat. flush is always a problem as there is nothing to get to. if its in a piece of body type steel you can use the spot weld cutter and cut the top piece off from around the broken screw. thats how I got the lower glass moldings off your 66. a #1 point self taping sheet medal screw rusted in tight and a molding you need to save. cut the molding loose and ground the remaining flush redrilled a new hole.

I use a Drumel with a cut off wheel to cut a little slot for a screwdriver.

Usually does the job.

Hope you get them out,
Darren

After speaking to Jim today, I gave Jim the name of a local machine shop that I use. They have the ability to fix his problem.

After speaking to Jim today, I gave Jim the name of a local machine shop that I use. They have the ability to fix his problem.

As Paul mentioned, sometimes it's easier to have the "experts" help out. Here's a photo for all to see my problem. They are flush on the backside also.

Thanks for your help

Jim

Attachments

• screws.jpg
    screws.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 176
that's a dill and re tap of I ever saw one. some times the left twist bits will back them out but I have never been that lucky. word of advice is if you going to take it in, do so before you mess with it. it costs a lot less that way.

Drill and use the freeze off I mentioned. It chills the part, shrinking the screw. Will makeit easier to use the easy out.

Back