Let's Help!

Bill Marcy

PCS Member
In light of the horrible devastation in Texas, I was thinking that maybe we could help in a small way. They need everything, food, clothes, shelter, medicine, etc, to say nothing of the fact that these people have to rebuild their lives.

So, I was wondering, if we could present a donation to the Red Cross, Salvation Army, or both. Could we set up a central fund here on this forum and present the proceeds? I know that some of us may be able to contribute more than others, but wouldn't it be nice to set a goal of say, $5,000 and maybe more, by a certain date, maybe ten days from now. These folks really need help and lots of it.

If someone will set up the means for us to contribute as a group, I will put in the first $100. So, what do you say, we can do it!

Tell me where to send the check. Philip

Actually, I am hoping that someone will jump in here and be that person. Even if it was set up through the PCS, or the Forum itself. Preferably using Paypal, it makes everything so much easier. I think it would be a nice gesture to try to donate as a group, although it is likely that many of us will donate individually too.

I'm here, east of Houston. I am the Director of Emergency Services for our city. My department conducted over 200 rescues in two days.We lost our rescue truck to the flood today on our last rescue. My entire County is under water as are many others. We did not lose a single victim.

I've been in Public Safety for over 35 years. This is not the worst event I've been in but it is the most extensive and widespread. Texas is strong.

Thank you Lord for keeping us safe.

there we go we can help our own maybe get a down payment. I don't mid helping I just like to know were my money goes.

One of the reasons that I would like one of our normal channels of collecting funds, rather than doing it myself, is for the purposes of trust and clarity. Once collected, the funds would go to a reputable charity, such as Channing is suggesting. I want everyone to know that the monies will only go to the charity.

I'm here, east of Houston. I am the Director of Emergency Services for our city. My department conducted over 200 rescues in two days.We lost our rescue truck to the flood today on our last rescue. My entire County is under water as are many others. We did not lose a single victim.

I've been in Public Safety for over 35 years. This is not the worst event I've been in but it is the most extensive and widespread. Texas is strong.

Thank you Lord for keeping us safe.

Here is something you get behind. Not one of the big ones that gobble up there money administratively if Bruce has a way to donate for the replacement truck I would like to do this. At least they may be able to get a pice of replacement equipment with the funds

I found this on The Red Cross' website:

"Donors want to know how much of their donation goes to the humanitarian services and programs the Red Cross provides, and how much goes to our costs for fundraising and management and general.

The fact is an average of 91 cents of every dollar the Red Cross spends is invested in our humanitarian services and programs."

http://www.redcross.org/news/press-release/How-the-American-Red-Cross-Spends-Your-Donations

Here is a link to their financial statements:

https://p.widencdn.net/ghq1cy/2016_TheAmericanRedCross_CFS

Here is something you get behind. Not one of the big ones that gobble up there money administratively if Bruce has a way to donate for the replacement truck I would like to do this. At least they may be able to get a pice of replacement equipment with the funds

I appreciate the thought here but I'm going to decline simply for three reasons.

First, we are an extremely financially stable city. We don't want for anything. If we have a need we buy it. We are blessed in this way.

Secondly this will be on our public assistance FEMA documentation so we'll see a small allowance for that.

Last, but most importantly, there is so much awful destruction and devastation here that every penny contributed needs to go to organizations that serve a broader purpose than my departments do. I'll leave that up to you all to decide on. What we could really use now, if you're so inclined, is your prayers.

Our final rescue count will be well over 300 and none of the fatalities occurred in our district. Thank you all, you are truly a special breed of folks.

My wife is the Director of Pharmacology at a local Catholic Hospital. She received an email from The Red Cross requesting volunteer, licensed pharmacists and certified pharmacy technicians to help in TX.

My wife explained to me that there are federal emergency medicine supplies that are distributed to hospitals, outpatient pharmacies, and patients, in an expedited way, during states of emergency. Imagine how many people are without their insulin, blood pressure medication, antibiotics, heart medication, etc...

Yesterday, she asked her pharmacy team if any of them could go to TX to help with the relief efforts. She received IMMEDIATE and unconditional commitments from members of her staff. They will be in TX this weekend.

My wife has coordinated with the HR department of her hospital to arrange for those who volunteered to not be charged PTO and to be paid their regular salary while they are helping the relief efforts.

I pray that the knowledge that our entire great nation is behind this relief effort brings hope to those affected by Hurricane Harvey.

God Bless Texas

We've sent donations to Samaritanas Purse and the Salvation Army. Also, Glenn Beck has a very good charity operation run through his Mercury Co., all 3 of these charities have an excellent "pass-through" rate of funds donated.

Not Much Support

I thought we would have more support amongst us here, for this desperate cause. My thoughts were to make a donation as a group for a minimum of $5K, or more. It would not look too good, if as a group we donated $300, or $400. I realize, not everyone can give a large donation, maybe you can give $10, or $20, maybe more, but it all adds up. Truly, I don't think it should be difficult for a group as large as ours, to raise $5K, or more.

I know that everyone has probably already donated, so perhaps my idea has no real relevance. But, I thought it would be a real nice gesture to the folks in Texas.

If we are to go any further, I need to know that we can reach a certain goal. Then, we need a way for everyone to submit their money easily and quickly. So, please give me your opinions on this. Should we continue, or not is the most important concern now.

Bill, I seriously doubt that we will be able to raise anywhere near $ 5,000 on this site. It's not that nobody on here doesn't care, I'm sure we all care a lot about it. It is a horrible tragedy that is going on. I can't even imagine escaping from a situation with a trash bag full of whatever and know that this is all I've got!!!!

That being said, my sons and I and our families put together quite a sizable amount which we donated in memory of a good friend, and we gave it to Samaritans Purse which has an excellent pass-through rate. As I stated above, there are only a very few charities that can get my/our money, we work to damn hard for it to waste it! We at currently researching animal rescue charities to find a worthy one. When we find it, they too will get a substantial donation.

I wish I could tell you differently, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct in my assessment of the situation. Good idea you had, just not gonna fly here at this time.

Bill, I seriously doubt that we will be able to raise anywhere near $ 5,000 on this site. It's not that nobody on here doesn't care, I'm sure we all care a lot about it. It is a horrible tragedy that is going on. I can't even imagine escaping from a situation with a trash bag full of whatever and know that this is all I've got!!!!

That being said, my sons and I and our families put together quite a sizable amount which we donated in memory of a good friend, and we gave it to Samaritans Purse which has an excellent pass-through rate. As I stated above, there are only a very few charities that can get my/our money, we work to damn hard for it to waste it! We at currently researching animal rescue charities to find a worthy one. When we find it, they too will get a substantial donation.

I wish I could tell you differently, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct in my assessment of the situation. Good idea you had, just not gonna fly here at this time.

Russell, unfortunately, you are probably right. But, just for the heck of it, if 500 people donated $20 each, we would have $10K. But, if the majority of people here agree with you, then I will just drop the idea. I do not really want to belabor the point, but thank you to everyone anyway.

Bill, whether we coordinate donations here or not, you have inspired many of us to be generous. If there is nothing coordinated by Tuesday, I plan on donating to the Red Cross on my own.
Thank you for demonstrating compassion for your fellow human being. I shared your sentiments with my children. I explained to them that there are people in need. They promptly ran to their rooms and collected toys and clothing to donate. My sons also offered their humble savings that were tucked away in their secret hiding places. They emailed their school teachers and their friends about donating. My younger son's teacher gave him extra credit, and some of their friends replied that they would collect items for donations.

Thank you again.

Bill, whether we coordinate donations here or not, you have inspired many of us to be generous. If there is nothing coordinated by Tuesday, I plan on donating to the Red Cross on my own.
Thank you for demonstrating compassion for your fellow human being. I shared your sentiments with my children. I explained to them that there are people in need. They promptly ran to their rooms and collected toys and clothing to donate. My sons also offered their humble savings that were tucked away in their secret hiding places. They emailed their school teachers and their friends about donating. My younger son's teacher gave him extra credit, and some of their friends replied that they would collect items for donations.

Thank you again.

Thank you Channing, you have made my day with your inspirational words.You should be very proud of your children and their desire to help. I know that we will all donate something and it all helps.

Back