'56 Broadmoor Sightseeing Coach

Fascinating Car

The whole story of the Hess & Eisenhardt Broadmoor Coaches is incredible. This listing is definitely an older restoration as touted. Pictures can be found all over Google and the like of when it was fresher. Good story at:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/04...n-woody-marries-utility-and-rarity-ebay-find/
. Apparently, they were trying to get $195k for it at one time (2015). So, bidding has a way to go. Six 55's with the Eldo wheel wells and two of the '56's. The real dazzler are the '59 Broadmoors. Photo's also available, to view, but not cut and paste. Def. UNIQUE for a car collection.

the 59s were junk they were built by superior. when the bid went out they low balled H&E figuring they could get H&E to do them for them but the upper management said no thanks you bit them you build them and superior did.

So...... the seller mentions that the Sabre wheels were restored 6 years ago.......... but no Sabre wheels in any of the photos?? These are standard '56 Cad wheel covers.

very nice car

Thanks for the pics and the post,can anybody help me and find the pics of my 1957 chevy limousine,thanks to you guys i got it on graigs list, i always tease my friends and tell them this is the rarest car in the world,yea,yea,just kidding,but i really want to find another one,the guys from top gear and kyle petty flew down to take pics with the car,because they said they never seen anything like it,i thank you guys for getting it on the site,i bought it,and it is the hardest resto,i have ever tried,and some of my friends know what i went threw in the past 3 years medical,almost died 4 times,but who cares, i always say i almost got my girl pregnant,guess what if you dont it dont matter,almost died,im still here,thanks for all your help brian j whelan 917-499-9994 :):):):d please dont tell me about any 1
956 or1955 its a 1957 thanks again:d:d;)

the 59s were junk they were built by superior. when the bid went out they low balled H&E figuring they could get H&E to do them for them but the upper management said no thanks you bit them you build them and superior did.

Ed just out of curiosity, why do you seem to find Superior products inferior?

the simple truth is superior built production cars designed for maximum bottom line. they had the wow factor down to a science. but it was all cover up. for there poorly constructed inter structure. the car was destined to last the expected 3 year front line and 5 second owner. before falling apart.

did they look sharp yes they did and still do. but underneath all of that every corner that could be cut was cut to the quick. would I own one yes I would if I found the right one. I own one right now. doesn't mean I don't know how it was made. I have had apart every one of the big 4 players. I know what is under that skin.

That may be true about Superior's structure, but Miller-Meteor's issues were with the skin itself. I currently own a '74 M-M Lifeliner and a '75 Superior 54" ambulance. M-M must have purchased the cheapest steel that they could find on the market for their skins!

Say What??

the 59s were junk they were built by superior.
Ed, with all due respect to "the feather in your cap" I don't know how in this day of 'Political Correctness' you can offer up such a negative opinion about Superior when, at my count, of your posted ownership I only see 2 Superior Cadillac Hearses and a 6 door Limo. I think you also spoke of tearing into a Pontiac Superior once and being disenchanted but, I wrote that off to being one of the low-end models where Superior WAS indeed trying to churn out product at a low price point.
Personally, I found :
1. It means a great deal where you buy a coach from. Salt Belt states produce rusted Service cars. So, maybe that's where you sourced the Superior Coaches you're so unhappy with?
2. My experience: of the 10 S&S's, 6 Superiors, 6 MM's, 1 Meteor, 1 McClain, 2 Henney's, 1 Barnette and 1 (in question)'Superior Equipped' Ambulance.... I've owned/restored/or currently own, MM is my least favorite for the exact reason Kurt specified. (Hidden) & outward panel Rust is/was MM's middle name. Would I buy another MM? Only if it was from a road-salt-free-state, garage kept and after running a magnet test for filler/ a thorough deep panel search.
I've had occasion to speak with many old-timers who worked at the different plants and at the dealerships- all but one, (recently, Galion [sp] in TN) voted Superior Coach the Best. Best designed, Best Quality of Build, Best Value. Every one of us are entitled to an opinion but, I really had to give pause here coming from a respected source, sorry.
Another 'Sponge Worthy' footnote: when it came time for Precision to create gorgeous models- most of them weren't the 'other' Coachbuilders. I remember only maybe ever seeing 1 MM model? Hopefully, this post doesn't start a full blown War but, I felt it necessary on behalf of us Superior Coach Lovers, Peace Coach Brothers!. LOL.

I think everybody from the midwest and out east has forgot just how rusty "all" these cars were back in the day! No floors, no quarter panels, everything rusted when it hit the salt. My 73 GMC pickup truck was rusted out when it was two years old. My 75 International pickup had rust and it was only a year old!

we each have our own favored the MM problem you talking about was a drain problem they would cover over the drain holes in there doors. which then fill with water and rusting threw. every one I have worked on has one or two of there doors that way. but there different doors on each car

I'm going from my prospective the inside to the out. I have have had them apart from 63 to 71 they cut every corner they could and a few they should not have. the older the car the better they are built. but the bastard combinations of metals and fiberglass in the body and trim makes for a lot of problems. you encounter when redoing one of them. there lack of priming there inside pieces with poor seam sealing combined with different types of materials leads to a lot of water intrusion and damage to panels surrounding the glass and rusting out inner structures that are vary difficult to do anything with. poor welds, badly tack structure and the works. covered with some of the prettiest stuff used in the industry.

don't get me wrong I would own one if it were the right car. this 67 crown is close to the right car. we get it back together and enjoy it for awhile.
but that doesn't mean I don't know how it was built.

you enjoy them go right ahead they were built with the wow factor for that. but from my prospective they were a lot of cover up the ugly and get it out of here. now you notice I never said what I thought was the best one. because the thing I like about them is they all brake. Ill take fixing a door any day over a lot if inside structure.

Now Ed........... You can't tell me that M-M didn't cut corners as much as any other coach builder! They just cut different corners! Have you ever checked out the interior of any hearse that M-M built in the '70s? M-M definitely had the cheapest looking hearse interiors of any coach builder in the '70s. Even C-B had better looking hearse interiors in the '70s!

Just a couple of comments on this. M-M was the rust king cheap steel no other reason. Superior the big seller around here (best price) rusted but no where the rate of M-M. As far as superior structure goes I bought a 70 Cadillac hi top in New York that had been rolled over "at lease twice". We taped a sedan windshield in with cardboard across the top to fill the gap. Then drove it home. All doors opened and closed fine inspite of road rash even fiberglass roof was intact cracks and rash but sound. Got lots of looks on the trip it was a current year rig.

But they covered over a solid body with a plain Jane interiors. MM and CB were the Same in the 70s. I stated Superior had the wow factor down pat. And they did only beat out interior wise by Eureka. No body but JC Whinty beat them out for chromed crustations on the outside.

Superior did use a strange combination of stainless, pot metal, and aluminum trim for sure. Superior's all-aluminum window frames sure beat the heck out of those steel side door headers that M-M used which rotted out so badly!

Back