1969 Superior 54" Ambulance WOW!!

Thanks for the heads up Kurt !!
I am supposed to be heading to Klamath Falls this week-end for a fishing trip....might have to make a side trip......;)

I will only speak from my limited knowledge base, but how do cars like this pop up? I follow the pcs site daily, and have never seen this car. Sure there are minor issues, but in the end a beautiful car from the late 60's. The perfect(!) Metro Ambulance car from Vancouver B.C. Right down to the interior colours.
I sure hope this is a car a pcs member would be interested in.
Thanks for sharing.

Wow is right. That car is just downright gorgeous! Love the deep blue. Interesting plexiglass enclosure on top of the medical cabinet.

I sure wish our dollar was better than 75 cents US.

it is surprising was is still put away in a barn some place. this car of course has just been repainted and some miner things transmissible wrong by a man that did not know. it is the standard dark blue offered by gm for a number of years on the Cadillac line. I would not be surprised to see it go for around 15. and still at todays prices would be a decent buy. half flat tires to boot.

I'm thinking someone got their bullet-light housings mixed up...

Mighty fine looking Super Chief up there though!

or just twisted wrong. if I remember they are cut at a angle. but it does make for some interesting pictures.

69's front bullet lights were straight up and down. Appears to have mis-matched beacons as well.

I believe that Ed got it right. The mounting fixtures were not properly "clocked" for the angles. I also noticed that it has the wrong siren mounting bracket for the Super Chief. The bracket that is installed, has the siren pointed upward, and it should have a slightly downward mounting. Hard to tell if this is actually original to the vehicle, or was added to the vehicle to enhance its sale value. Kevin could tell, if he had the siren serial number. The way that it is presently mounted, any water that enters the front of the siren, will be directed toward the rear of the siren, instead of draining out of the front housing.

I believe that tilt / telescopic steering columns were standard on the commercial chassis in 1969. Every one that I have seen has that option. I saw a 1969 S&S end loader hearse that also had power windows and cruise control at the Florida PCS Meet in 2010.

The seller responded to my question regarding the original skirts. He does not have the skirts for this car. Probably this car's biggest "issue".

I wonder what happened to the siren control box...seems to be missing.?

What do you mean by "siren control box"? the only thing on a Super Chief is the brake, and the switch that controls the brake is usually located next to the horn / siren switch. On the Super Chief, you release the brake to use the siren. When the siren is not in use, the brake is on. If you don't put the siren brake on, while driving at highway speeds, the siren rotor will start to turn and it will generate a siren tone. The only other device is a siren solenoid, and that is so small, I doubt that it would stand out in the engine compartment.

He is talking about the PA controls... Federal Interceptor, etc. Bidding keeps moving fairly steadily.

Thanks Kurt,that is exactly what I was referring to.

If you go to the website listed in the description it shows the the big hole where the Interceptor etc would of been mounted...I would assume that there was a electric siren at some point since there are CP-25's mounted.....perhaps the Super Chief was mounted since the PA (siren box) is missing.....?

What do you mean by "siren control box"? the only thing on a Super Chief is the brake, and the switch that controls the brake is usually located next to the horn / siren switch. On the Super Chief, you release the brake to use the siren. When the siren is not in use, the brake is on. If you don't put the siren brake on, while driving at highway speeds, the siren rotor will start to turn and it will generate a siren tone. The only other device is a siren solenoid, and that is so small, I doubt that it would stand out in the engine compartment.

Thank you Paul I was enlightend to the workings of the Super Chief in the last few months,I was fortunate to have purchased 2 Super Chiefs for a giveaway price and one of them is currently awaiting a casting that Kevin is making for it, to mount on my 70....it has also been rebuilt and and new rear housing replaced....:thumbsup:

Back