'56 Broadmoor Sightseeing Coach

I still don't buy into the criticism of the Superior bodies. Maybe someone here is forgetting they bought the Coach 'used' when it was maybe already 30+ years old? Who's to say how much bodywork, cutting and alteration was done prior? All I can say is I've stood over & restored almost all of the Coaches I've owned (with professional help) and Superior was by far the best, (for me) to-date. I will admit to one having inner front fender corrosion, where you could tell the snow and salt was captured deep in the fender well. It came from Indiana. I try and buy most of mine out West or down South.
There's no doubt Superior used 'sand cast' pot metal and chrome pieces to enhance the beautiful bodies but, comparing that to J.C. Whitney (correct spelling) is like comparing Jayne Mansfield to Lily Tomlin. Just 1 example: When you stack up the beautifully executed stainless trim of a Superior or S&S against the extruded aluminum and then short term polished sheen of the window surrounds of an M-M, there's no contest!

The interior trim was 50's schmaltz on the M-M's and classic, stately beauty on the Superiors. The old(er) folks I have met in the livery trade referred to it as "Disco-Wayne interiors".
When seeking out 'old-timers' from the Coach Builder's and asking them about these grand old ladies, one thing they pretty much all say is, the M-M's were the 'work horses of the industry', priced low so when they became dated, you just discarded them. I am on a mission to save as many of these I can and glad to be part of your organization. It is not my purpose to insult those of you that are proud M-M owners.
No matter what, we all are entitled to our own opinions- that what makes the USA such a great Country. I just have trouble listening to anybody continually bash Superior.

But they covered over a solid body with a plain Jane interiors. MM and CB were the Same in the 70s. I stated Superior had the wow factor down pat. And they did only beat out interior wise by Eureka. No body but JC Whinty beat them out for chromed crustations on the outside.

I understand that M-M and C-B had the same parent company in the '70s, but they didn't have the same interiors! C-B interiors were nicer in their coaches.

Chalk and cheese

Bringing 1970s coaches, build techniques and quality issues into the discussion and comparing them to products of the 1950s is an exercise in futility and completely misses the point of Ed's comment.

Ed was merely suggesting that as "dazzling" as the '59 Broadmoor coaches built by Superior may have been, they were of a lesser quality than the '55 & '56 S&S-built Broadmoor wagons. I believe that is a fair comment and should not be misconstrued as "bashing" Superior in any way. For that matter, a comparison between a '56 Superior and a '59 Superior would yield several differences in build quality, the '56 being of more solid construction than the '59.

Back to the subject of the seller - Cliff is a reputable Cadillac collector and dealer, is a Broadmoor aficionado and owns/has owned at least three of the six '55 Broadmoor wagons and both of the '56s. I hope the one currently available finds a deserving home.

That may be true about Superior's structure, but Miller-Meteor's issues were with the skin itself. I currently own a '74 M-M Lifeliner and a '75 Superior 54" ambulance. M-M must have purchased the cheapest steel that they could find on the market for their skins!

FWIW General Motors had problems with their OE sheet metal in those years also. There was a lot of warranty replacements in that era.

I remember we had an Impala sedan that the paint would not adhere to the metal very well. In fact it got new door skins as a result of that.

"...yes, its the same car. What a great invitation only car show At the moment I am not looking for any straight across trades. might consider $50k plus a nice trade. I already have a Persian Sand 1959 Biarritz builder, might sell it also".

Apparently he IS interested in trades (see above)and did lower his reserve. It is a confusing listing though, with the wheel issue. Bidding @ $85,100 at this writing.

I love how they're claiming the car was designed by Harley Earl...yet it's just a customized professional car body on the Cadillac commercial chassis. So what did Harley Earl do, pick out the colors and decide how many plexiglass window inserts to put in the roof?

Back