Keep or sell??

Daniel Scully

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
What I think we all need is someone to buy a car and post photos of it !!!

Done , Now I have to decide keep the 65 or sell the 62. I will get better pics once I get it cleaned up. So sell the 62 or the 65 or keep them both or sell them both :confused: To many projects to keep them all and could use some cash for the other projects. :YesNo:

Attachments

• 62 back.jpg
    62 back.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 376
  • DSC09331.jpg
    DSC09331.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 363
  • hearse3jpg.jpg
    hearse3jpg.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 367
  • hearse4.jpg
    hearse4.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 369
  • hearse6.jpg
    hearse6.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 361
Daniel

I would suggest selling them both and keeping cars that don't require resto's and paint. Both add up fast and sounds like you won't get to them anytime in the next two years.

Get rid of the projects and enjoy driving your favorites.
Leave the work for someone else.

This could all change when your photos are posted but that's my suggestion so far.

Can't wait to see your new baby !
Darren

P.S. Start a new thread when you post your photos !!!!!
Thread deviations are another issue on there own !!!!!

Dan, although I am not known as a "hearse guy" for me, these are good looking cars, both of them! And I do not see "project" cars, as Darren calls them. Unless I am missing something here, they look like easy redos to me. If you like them both, you should keep them both.

the 62 is sharp. the 65 is sharp. glad its not my decision to make. ive let to many go and then kick myself for doing it. 96 6 door limo i sold for not enough was flipped by a so called friend who swore he had to have it to keep so felt for him and m3 weeks later was in the local paper for sale and was sold to a rapper who destroyed it. ( rims, stereo and purple paint.) some friend. sellers remorse. 3 way would probaly bring the most.

Bill

Let me clear up the "project" term used.

Dan said he has too many "projects".

I suggested he let go of the projects.

I agree, those cars are quite nice.
Why I suggested it was so he could get the money he needs to fix up some other things he has on the go.

When cars need paint and a few parts, unless you can do it yourself, paint gets expensive. Meaning more time and money when other projects come first. That to me means they will sit around for a couple years before he has time and extra cash to work on them.

Too many projects means a full mind. Let some go, clear your head, focus and get them done. Be happy and drive them !

Hope that helps explain my thinking. MY thinking.

He asked for opinions, that was mine.

If money was no issue, he should keep them all !!!
Eventually they would all get done.

cool,
Darren

Daniel, sorry I have nothing substantive to offer. Crowns are top-o-the line and I understand your dilemma. Two peculiar aspects of '62 that make it more 'attractive' are landau delete and lack of forward skeg moldings. Did you ever follow up on those landau irons btw?

3 way would probaly bring the most.

They are both 3-ways. ;)

the 62 is sharp. the 65 is sharp. glad its not my decision to make. ive let to many go and then kick myself for doing it. 96 6 door limo i sold for not enough was flipped by a so called friend who swore he had to have it to keep so felt for him and m3 weeks later was in the local paper for sale and was sold to a rapper who destroyed it. ( rims, stereo and purple paint.) some friend. sellers remorse. 3 way would probaly bring the most.

Thats why I never sell anything to a friend ! when I sold my 1970 Austin Mini Van and my 1968 woody wagon, I made sure this guy was not going to destroy them and restore them like he said........... he kept his word

I knew I was never going to do anything with them so I sold them to someone who did.

after seeing them last year all done and restored......I was so sorry to have let them go but happy also that they found a new home

Daniel, sorry I have nothing substantive to offer. Crowns are top-o-the line and I understand your dilemma. Two peculiar aspects of '62 that make it more 'attractive' are landau delete and lack of forward skeg moldings. Did you ever follow up on those landau irons btw?

They are both 3-ways. ;)

I would have to agree with Atti completely on this one!

On another note... I know a guy who had a VW van and he left it outside in his driveway (MI) and it was quite nice. (I don't have any interest in them but lots of people do)

He kept saying I will get to it and after 7 years sitting out waiting for the "roundtoit" to show up, it rusted and weathered and he ended up selling it.
It fetched far less than he could of got before he let it sit.

Plus now the guy getting it has to do much more it start enjoying it then would have to of been done. Including paint !

When I comment it is from past experience and knowing what can happen as time goes on.

I'm sure there are guys out there with many more times the experience when it comes to cars, but sometimes it doesn't take much when you are looking at a situation vs being the one who has to make the decision. THAT'S THE HARD PART !

I would be torn and likely keep them myself.

After seeing Rocky sell off a fleet of custom hot rods, I am seeing the other side a little better, and somewhat agreeing !

He said he has had his fun with them and it is time to let someone else enjoy them ! We can't take them with us and they do cost money to own, insure, maintain, store, repair, etc.

I will even be letting a car go soon !!! I can't believe it but for the same reasons above, it needs paint and that adds up fast !

Sometimes a change is a good thing.

Darren

this of course it the dilemma. and as we get older having stuff is not as impotent as having less stuff and only stuff that works. do I need 8 projects in the wings or one to work on. one to drive?

Landau Irons

Crowns are top-o-the line and I understand your dilemma. Two peculiar aspects of '62 that make it more 'attractive' are landau delete and lack of forward skeg moldings. Did you ever follow up on those landau irons btw?

I saw this set on EBay, they where advertised as 46 Packard Hurst. The part #s were listed and I had the 61 parts book and the #s where correct for 61 . I do not have the 62 parts book but thought 62 would be the same as 61, but after I bought them I looked and in the parts book lists these in the first pic for coaches with a straight c pillar I did not notice that the next line shows bows for c pillars that are slanted. But in this issue of the TPC there are adds that show 2 Crowns with the slight arc on the bow and the last pic shows a Crown with a bow that is almost straight . I thought the straight bow is correct for Crowns from 59 to 62? But the add pics look like 2 of the coaches have the the slight bow in the bar and the one Crown has the straight bars. The 1st pic is the style I bought and the last pic is the correct one for Crowns :confused:

Attachments

• $(KGrHqFHJCcFDNv-Q1ceBQzh3pDvrw~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqFHJCcFDNv-Q1ceBQzh3pDvrw~~60_3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 241
  • Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 248
  • Scan2.jpg
    Scan2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 233
  • Scan 1.jpg
    Scan 1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 222
  • $T2eC16Z,!w0E9szNZt01BQSDjuq30g~~60_12.jpg
    $T2eC16Z,!w0E9szNZt01BQSDjuq30g~~60_12.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 237
Daniel

After looking in the recent issue of TPC #147, and the same page you posted here, that 61 looks mighty fine and the 62 you have could be just as nice with some body and paint work !

Not making your decision any easier I know but another angle to look at in making your choice to keep it or sell it.

Still need to see your new coach before I would make a final decision though.

One additional note... it is way better to be in your shoes HAVING the cars to be able to even consider selling or keeping vs LOOKING for one or the other.

Darren

Okay Daniel, here's the skinny. :)

Superior used this example on at least 1959 - 1962 Landaulet models and on removable combinations panels through 1970 (!). Note center section not as embellished as Crown version. Also, these are shorter than Crown landau irons (although I don't have one on hand to provide an exact measurement) coinciding with shorter C to D pillar distance.

59supl5.jpg

Next photo shows right '59-'62 Crown landau over right '63-'64 Crown landau.

dsc02355tg.jpg

Multiple subtle differences between them:

'59-'62 are cast bronze. They are straighter. Caps have smooth edges and lower profile (3/8"). Caps are held in by minuscule alum screws on underside. I can't confirm entire castings numbers, nor if those changed between '59-'62, nor can I relay what year mine came off. Only one iron here (right) has a partial casting number ending in _ _ _156. c/c length is 44.75"

'63-'63 are cast pot metal. They have slightly more curve. Caps have knurled edges and taller profile (3/4"), which screw into coach mounting holes themselves. Casting numbers are LH 254153 G and RH 254152 G. c/c length is 1/2" longer at 45.25".

Congrats on getting a pair BTW. You know as well as I do that they aren't easy to acquire! If you'd like a mounting template I'll make one. :thumbsup:

Landau Irons

The set I got I actually like the slight curve they have so I will be using those if I do install them .Thanks for the detailed info . Amazing they did all that just for the slight differences.

Back